Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DCJPells

City of Poughkeepsie seeks bids for ambulance contract

9 posts in this topic

http://www.poughkeep...ulance-contract

The City of Poughkeepsie is searching for a company to provide ambulance and emergency medical services.

Officials said the city is issuing a request for proposals, or RFP, for companies interested in providing the around-the-clock service.

Edited by jack10562
Article Source Site Copyright Notice

Doesn't take a genius to figure out who is pulling the strings on this one.

What do they mean by "staffers?" Also only 2 ALS ambulances? I can't say I know what the call volume is in the city however I do the volume where I operate and sometimes 3 on duty Paramedics isn't enough...is 2 really adequate for a city with the demographics like Poughkeepsie?

Transcare currently runs 2 24hr ALS ambulances out of the city of Poughkeepise. There is only a few times that a transport/back up 911 truck has had to cover a call in Poughkeepsie due to the 2 city units already being out. The city of poughkeepsie medic units follow the same set up as the 2 Town of Wappingers units.

So, I guess there will be 3 companies submitting bids for POUGH'Town.......Transcare, Mobile Life and Hudson Valley Paramedics. Anyone have any idea if the City has a preference or are they really going to go with the low bidder?

What do they mean by "staffers?" Also only 2 ALS ambulances? I can't say I know what the call volume is in the city however I do the volume where I operate and sometimes 3 on duty Paramedics isn't enough...is 2 really adequate for a city with the demographics like Poughkeepsie?

2 Dedicated ALS units. There are others available incase their is a 3rd opr even 4th call. So Yes 2 dedicated units and additional units to support is adequate.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but Beekman FD, starting tomorrow, pays the difference between what it costs TransCare to man and equip 34-79 minus what Transcare receives, or expects to receive from insurance and billing. With the City's call volume and the close proximity to both hospitals, I can see no money being involved like it's been since the 80's.

Currently their are 2 24/7 ALS units that are DEDICATED to the City ( TC Medic 1 and TC Medic 2 )and they DO NOT move out of the area! Therefore when we are asked where we are responding from they know within the city limits which is verified by the rapid enroute to on scene time! There are other ALS units available should a 3rd or 4th call drop which happens but not to frequently! Also the 2 dedicated ALS units know who is up next for a call and call out to City 911 as TC Medic 1 or TC Medic 2. I can only speak for myself being one of the dedicated ALS units but I believe that City PD and City FD are happy with the services the present company has been providing and would hate to see any change made.

smile.gif

To all members of this board may you all have a very Happy New Year and may 2010 bring you all good health and happiness!

As a former city resident i'm happy the city is goiing to put something on paper for the ambulance service. I do think the two als ambulances is kind of short staffed for the city. But thats just my opinion.