Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x648eng119

EMD - Is it worth it?

37 posts in this topic

from what i remeber is that you are suppose to respond to all calls lights and sirens (actually thats what you have them for) WHat happens if you respond to and unknowen and it has turned into a shooting and you didnt respond lights and sirens????? Try and explain that one to the jury. UM yes SIr your Honor it was an unwoen so we figured to take it easy and see the sights.

Okay, I guess i missed this one before my last post...oh yeah if you follow the EMD protocol you are covered by the company that trained you and are able to show a nationally approved response system that has been proven to work throughout the world...You asked all the right questions and evaluated those answers...sent the appropriate unit with the correct type of response...if the info is bad you are not at fault...but if it is b/s and you send a bus at a higher priority and they get killed or kill someone in an auto accident which would be worse...use your head...

And my explanation is: "Sir we responded as directed on the information received by directed questioning keeping in mind the safety of the majority of the public the best we could. In my estimation the difference in time to the scene based on response priority was minute and we choose to provide the safest response possible by sending the closest available appropriate piece of equipment. Based on my training and experience I feel that my decision was correct and I would not change that even knowing the outcome and would respond the same way in the future."

You don't know what you are going to until you get there - a hadn laceration could turn out to be something much worse - just an example...

Some one on the scene may not tell the dispatcher something or may make the situation seem less severe than it really is. Unless there is someone on the scene that is qualified to tell an ambulance to respond with caution - most will go lights and sirens.

As it was said - you don't know why someone is throwing up

There's nothing wrong with reponding lights and sirens to the scene and then without lights and sirens to the hospital.

As for EMD - in the almost two weeks since the 911 center has been open I have witnessed some of my partners EMD - one included CPR the other was a choking victim - both of which are alive today because our dispatchers are EMD trained and took the time to do it!

Common sense. Have it? Use it!

My Fire Department does not respond lights & sirens to every fire call, BASED ON DISPATCH INFORMATION.

For example, our SOG states that a "Code 2" response (no lights or sirens) is to be used for the following calls, unless other pertinent information is received.

Carbon Monoxide Alarms with no Symptoms.

Fluid Spills

Rubbish (no value) fires

And on automatic alarms only the first due responds "code 1" and the balance comes in "code 2."

We also have a written SOG stating that Mutual Aid to scenes is "Code 1" and to relocate is only a "code 2."

When responding, we generally receive updates like "setoff in error," or "smoke from cooking" and our units will continue in "Code 2" for investigation.

Remember, lights and sirens don't put out the fires or save lives, the people on the rigs do. Get them there safe and alive.

In your dept Code 1 is lights and siren and code 2 is none of the above? I thought code 1 is without and code 3 is with and that code 2 was actually eliminated?

In your dept Code 1 is lights and siren and code 2 is none of the above?  I thought code 1 is without and code 3 is with and that code 2 was actually eliminated?

Tomato.

Tomato.

We know what our Codes mean......that's all that matters.

please let me rephrase (since i got my butt kicked aorund LOL) I didnt mean that i drive balls to the wall every single call. But all calls get lights that i respond to. I dont use the siren much at all, unless it has to be used. But i was trained my NYCEMS pre FDNY days that all calls you respond to with lights on. Even during transport the lights are on, That is NYC protocal, as i understand there is nothing in state protocal about lights and sierns being used. As far as code 1 code 2 and code 3. This is the first i am hearing of it. I have been driving and teching for years now. I always stop at stop signs adn red lights even with lights and sirens on. So dont think i am driving like a mad man on calls. I have even made drivers stop and get out casue they where blowing lights to serious calls. From what i remeber VTL states lights and sirens do not get right of way you are requesting it, and if memeory srves me right the only vechile that has right of way is a postal truck, that question use to be on teh NYPD sergents exam. Sorry if igot off track EMD DOES WORK

585 I was just asking what your codes meant...don't really care about tomatoes just trying to get the idea here if it is all or none or is there a just lights response?