Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rayman0784

Equipment In cab of truck

5 posts in this topic

I am doing some research in regards to equipment needs in my department, more specifically on our rigs. I have been reading through NFPA 1901, but I haven't come across the section that I need yet. So i figured I would throw it out here, and see what kind of response I get.

When you are building a rig, or speccing it out, what are the standards that you should have per seat in the rig. This is more in terms of radio's, lights, and tools of that nature (anything to be mounted in the cab area). What are the thoughts out there, and is there a "standard" to follow?

thanks

Ray

JBJ1202 likes this

I don't believe NFPA specifically addresses what equipment should be mounted in the cab; due to the incredibly wide variety of cab configurations, it would be nearly impossible to realistically establish a standard for carrying certain equipment in the cab. In a custom cab apparatus, there's room for much more gear than in a commercial cab, for example.

Many departments opt to mount hand tools, hand lights, and SCBA in the cab, to save time for the crew gearing up upon arrival. Portable radios, if not issued to personnel, should be carried for each SCBA on the rig, and are small enough to be mounted in most cabs.

NFPA does address equipment mounting, and you'll find they are specific about all equipment being secured in a bracket to prevent it coming loose due to vibration or collision. This is especially important where equipment carried in the cab is concerned.

Basically, carry as much equipment in close reach for your personnel as you have room for. But make sure it's appropriately mounted and adequately secured, so it doesn't become a projectile on the road.

I believe the Phoenix, AZ Fire Department has removed SCBAs from the cab cited them as a possible hazard should they dislodge from the mounts during a collision.

I believe the Phoenix, AZ Fire Department has removed SCBAs from the cab cited them as a possible hazard should they dislodge from the mounts during a collision.

my understanding was that they removed the SCBA so the personnel would stay seated in the cabs and seatbelted in, if they were donning a SCBA during a response it was unlikely they were belted in and injury was more likely in case of an accident.

hmmm, I realize that the NFPA cannot state what MUST be in the cab/crew area, do to the nature of every unit being different. I guess what I am more interested in, is finding out the requirements per seat in a unit. I know the NFPA states that there must be a SCBA for each seat, and a back up bottle for each pack on the truck. I am wondering if this same premise applies to portable radio's and light packs (I say light packs knowing that each department utilizes a different style). When it comes down to it, I am having an issue with a few rigs that I know of that have 1 light, and 2 portables for the entire rig, which holds 4 fighters, 1 officer, and the driver. I was trying to get an idea if there were "standards" against this, or anything to give me something to stand on if/when I approach the department about the concerns.