Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

Old Yonkers Civil Defense Dept

6 posts in this topic

Back in the 1960's and early 1970's, growing up in Yonkers, whenever there was a MAJOR fire in the City of Yonkers, I fondly remember the members of the Old Yonkers Civil Defense Department responding to these incidents. They responded in those old While and Blue Trucks (many either YPD hand me downs or donated trucks). One of the trucks that they had was a "LIGHT TRUCK" that provide flood lighting on the buidlings/structures that the YFD were fighting at the time. They would also provide assistance to the members of YFD as they needed it. These members were (if I remember correctly and please correct me if I am incorrect) strictly "VOLUNTEERS". They were based next to the Old Yonkers PD Building on Radford Street (Next to YFD Station 4) back in the alley behind the building. This is the alley where their trucks were stored.

Does anyone know what ever happened to the Yonkers CD and do they still respond to major fires in the City of Yonkers like they used to?

Any and all information would be appreciated

Thank you :)

I'm 20-30 years younger than you, but I recall seeing the Greenburgh Department of Civil Defense as late as the mid 1980's responding with an ex-military 6x6 with a box and cascade on it. Once Millwood and a few other departments put cascades in service on their heavy squads in the late 1980's I stopped seeing this unit around.

Same as you described though, blue & white. I'm wondering if the Yonkers units were moved to Greenburgh?

Edited by mfc2257

Yes, we were all volunteers. In the mid fifty’s the federal government started a program in which it offered training and equipment to start a rescue service. At this time it was not terrorism but the fear of a nuclear attack. The City of Yonkers applied to be part of this program. My father John A. Bendick was appointed Chief of Rescue Service. It was his responsibility to recruit and train civilians in emergency operations as a supplement to the fire dept. Many of these teams came from veterans organizations such as the American Legion. Over the years with the declining threat of a nuclear attack, the mission was changed to more of a local response to emergencies. Being that my father had a very special relationship with the Yonkers Fire Dept., they were allowed to respond and assist at multiple alarms as long as they did not interfere or perform any fire fighting operations. This was also with the un-official approval of the YFD Mutual Aid association. This was quite an accomplishment as this was about the time that Tom Flynn was elected President of the Union. In my opinion, he was the man, who with some progressive leaders in the Dept. started the climb from a great Dept. to one of the most premier ones in the country. From a dept. riding with 3 men, and 1 acting Lt. with old equipment, to one with an officer and 3 FF’s on a state of art apparatus. They also have support equipment to rival any dept.

Going to fires and having the rescue trucks quartered in firehouses allowed me to enter the world of the fire service at an early age. This started a lifelong love affair with the fire service. Many of us went on to become firefighters and policemen. For myself, I went on to become Captain of Engine 23 in the FDNY and retired with 37 years. During these fires, I saw some of the greatest firemen in operation.

To answer your question, they are still in operation. How active they are, I don’t know. And yes they still are getting cast me downs.

Yes, we were all volunteers. In the mid fifty's the federal government started a program in which it offered training and equipment to start a rescue service. At this time it was not terrorism but the fear of a nuclear attack. The City of Yonkers applied to be part of this program. My father John A. Bendick was appointed Chief of Rescue Service. It was his responsibility to recruit and train civilians in emergency operations as a supplement to the fire dept. Many of these teams came from veterans organizations such as the American Legion. Over the years with the declining threat of a nuclear attack, the mission was changed to more of a local response to emergencies. Being that my father had a very special relationship with the Yonkers Fire Dept., they were allowed to respond and assist at multiple alarms as long as they did not interfere or perform any fire fighting operations. This was also with the un-official approval of the YFD Mutual Aid association. This was quite an accomplishment as this was about the time that Tom Flynn was elected President of the Union. In my opinion, he was the man, who with some progressive leaders in the Dept. started the climb from a great Dept. to one of the most premier ones in the country. From a dept. riding with 3 men, and 1 acting Lt. with old equipment, to one with an officer and 3 FF's on a state of art apparatus. They also have support equipment to rival any dept.

Going to fires and having the rescue trucks quartered in firehouses allowed me to enter the world of the fire service at an early age. This started a lifelong love affair with the fire service. Many of us went on to become firefighters and policemen. For myself, I went on to become Captain of Engine 23 in the FDNY and retired with 37 years. During these fires, I saw some of the greatest firemen in operation.

To answer your question, they are still in operation. How active they are, I don't know. And yes they still are getting cast me downs.

Buffy- remember our days on Jerome Ave and 183 St when the Bronx was burning? Lots of good memories! Stay safe!

Your fellow retiree from midtown.rolleyes.gif

Yes, we were all volunteers. In the mid fifty's the federal government started a program in which it offered training and equipment to start a rescue service. At this time it was not terrorism but the fear of a nuclear attack. The City of Yonkers applied to be part of this program. My father John A. Bendick was appointed Chief of Rescue Service. It was his responsibility to recruit and train civilians in emergency operations as a supplement to the fire dept. Many of these teams came from veterans organizations such as the American Legion. Over the years with the declining threat of a nuclear attack, the mission was changed to more of a local response to emergencies. Being that my father had a very special relationship with the Yonkers Fire Dept., they were allowed to respond and assist at multiple alarms as long as they did not interfere or perform any fire fighting operations. This was also with the un-official approval of the YFD Mutual Aid association. This was quite an accomplishment as this was about the time that Tom Flynn was elected President of the Union. In my opinion, he was the man, who with some progressive leaders in the Dept. started the climb from a great Dept. to one of the most premier ones in the country. From a dept. riding with 3 men, and 1 acting Lt. with old equipment, to one with an officer and 3 FF's on a state of art apparatus. They also have support equipment to rival any dept.

To answer your question, they are still in operation. How active they are, I don't know. And yes they still are getting cast me downs.

Hey Cap,

Good to see you're still buffin'!!! Getting detailed to 23 Engine to drive you was always a pleasure! Hope you're enjoying retirement!

Marc Dore'

46 Engine