Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FDNY EMT Training?

4 posts in this topic

I am getting my EMT certification in NYC. I have looked into the process for applying with the FDNY? Can anyone tell me a little more about the process? Is there a physical agility test? What is "boot camp" like? About how long does it take to get called in for an interview once you initially apply? I would appreciate any help anyone could give me. Thanks!

I am getting my EMT certification in NYC. I have looked into the process for applying with the FDNY? Can anyone tell me a little more about the process? Is there a physical agility test? What is "boot camp" like? About how long does it take to get called in for an interview once you initially apply? I would appreciate any help anyone could give me. Thanks!

The physical agility is easy. The academy is pretty far from a bootcamp, but was academically challenging. In 2004-05 it took me about a year from when I initially applied to when I was hired. Good luck.

fdnyemsrant.proboards.com poke around a bit before posting. You should find most of your answers there.

Edited by ny10570

Once you have your EMT card call the number on the FDNY website and give them your Cert # and your SSN and your address. When I called ( April 08) they sent me a letter to go for my physical agility in June ( I deferred one month to July). Once done with that I got another letter/ packet with paperwork to fillout and telling me to go to 9 metrotech for my background ( this also serves somewhat as an interview with your investigator). A few weeks following that I got another letter to go for my Psych exam. After the Psych exam I got put on hold since a civil service list came out and being a civilian you get deferred until they are done with that. All in all I got called in May of 09 to go for my medical exam at 9 Metrotech. Then in July 09 I got called and offered the job. Some people get hired quicker some take a while it all depends on whats going on with the department at the time.

The Academy is much more mentally challenging than it is physically. Your first two weeks are basically a straight refresher immediately followed by a state exam. After you pass that you get split into a platoon and every week you do something different until you graduate ( 1 week Hazmat, 1 week Evoc, 1 week Scenarios).