Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JFLYNN

Firematic Coverage During Parades?

To close, or not to close...   51 members have voted

1. 1. Close this topic??

• YES, topic beat to death...
    • NO, let it go on, and on, and on...

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

102 posts in this topic

Career firemen I understand why you have the feelings you do, but if you have loved ones living somewhere that the fire service being provided is less than adequate do you tell them to move? Also doesn't the Commisioner of Yonkers live/lived in a volunteer town?

I can not tell my family to move, but they happen to live where sub-par service is provided, I will advise them of such and make preparations for it. Example: A LT in my firehouse was badly hurt on his property. He had very labored breathing from being crushed and it took 25 minutes for an ambulance. 25 MINUTES!!! that is completely unacceptable. If it was a heart attack, he would be dead. His family now plans to drive themselves to the hospital in the future because its faster.

The Yonkers fire comm lives in Yonkers.

Again I haven't heard anyone say there isn't a problem, and it must be frustrating having family members living in a district that bad. Just a suggestion sir, have your loved ones attend a village/town board meeting and tell their concerns. It may help a lot more than this

chris and ladder55 like this

Again I haven't heard anyone say there isn't a problem, and it must be frustrating having family members living in a district that bad. Just a suggestion sir, have your loved ones attend a village/town board meeting and tell their concerns. It may help a lot more than this

That continues to be suggested but we realize that in actuality, "this" helps more at this point...people need to be educated before they can organize properly and clamor for change which is what is happening right here on this forum, isn't that great? I myself am learning more and more about this issue through this forum every day. I am learning how truly serious it is and what an undercurrent of discontent there is out there in the volunteer community from those who wish to truly serve the public they are sworn to protect.

So, I predict if we keep discussing this issue and all of its ramifications on this forum, we will eventually see the issue spoken about at village/town board meetings, as well as at Fire District meetings, County Board meetings, etc., as well as the media getting involved and getting the information out to the general public. Then cange will happen.

I think many of the people who keep insisting that this is not the correct place to be discussing this issue realize that as well. They would rather not have reality imposed on their fantasy but the ball is now rolling and it will be hard to stop.

I agree that this is a reality and not a fantasy, but unless you personally want to go to these districts and drive the meat wagon, its going to take time. In that time a lot may happen. So like I suggested to the other gentleman if this was my family I would bring it up ASAP to a local official not sit at your computer and talk to people from all over the country on how bad it is. You seem to want the discussion to continue on here to get everyone going

chris and ladder55 like this

I agree that this is a reality and not a fantasy, but unless you personally want to go to these districts and drive the meat wagon, its going to take time. In that time a lot may happen. So like I suggested to the other gentleman if this was my family I would bring it up ASAP to a local official not sit at your computer and talk to people from all over the country on how bad it is. You seem to want the discussion to continue on here to get everyone going

ff101, very good point; I, like you, have suggested that the posters in here who have various conerns address them to their elected officials or fire district officers; to opine in here about how horrible things are in the fire service serves a very limited and narrow purpose; and while it never hurts to let others know how you feel, sometimes I feel that their are some in here who honestly believe that by coming in here and ranting, it'll be the cure all for most if not all of the fire service issues. Its not. But then again their are those who are agenda driven, irrespective of the agenda and it will continue until the moderators decide that enough is enough and close the particular thread in question.

For those who think that this is not a 'public' forum, and that the only people who read these threads are other firefighters, I have been contacted through PM by a member of a local newspaper through this forum asking for my thoughts on an incident that I commented on in here. People do notice. And to all the volunteers who say that we are the ones who really care about public service because we do it for free in our own communities, how come we are the ones who resist the most when suggestions and questions about coverage are made? If we can do it as well/better everywhere and all the time, there wouldn't be these conversations because honest questions could be answered with honest answers and everything would be cleared up.

KCRD likes this

The horse has been beaten, it has decayed and decomposed fully- now only the skeleton remains. Those who are still concerned about its cause of death should go to a public meeting and address their concerns there. I see this forum as a way some to avoid doing their civic duty.Ever see some of these board meetings on TV? Plenty O' empty seats.

BTW, by civic duty I mean being involved in your local govt.

The funniest thing about this is I believe that firemen's parades (No women in the fire service back then) were made to show off their equipment and how prepared for firefighting they were. Today an apparatus that is ready for fire duty probably won't place well in a parade.

This is true good point, back in the day the judges actually opened cabinets and looked inside but not so much anymore.

This is true good point, back in the day the judges actually opened cabinets and looked inside but not so much anymore.

I had that happen once Capt., the Judge opened a compartent door for the 62 Mack I was driving... when he closed it, I stopped the engine, pulled the brake and got out to check that the door was closed.... He yelled at me to get back in the drivers seat, which I informed him that I was responsible for this rig, and I was making sure the door was properly closed....

I had that happen once Capt., the Judge opened a compartent door for the 62 Mack I was driving... when he closed it, I stopped the engine, pulled the brake and got out to check that the door was closed.... He yelled at me to get back in the drivers seat, which I informed him that I was responsible for this rig, and I was making sure the door was properly closed....

Judges seem to never be to personal kinda like they are better than everyone.

Judges seem to never be to personal kinda like they are better than everyone.

If you like I may be willing to consider being a judge. I have a very sweet disposition.

If you like I may be willing to consider being a judge. I have a very sweet disposition.

You should consider being a judge, somehow possibly in a previous life you might of been, as far as your disposition, I would have to say that would be a matter of opinion and maybe a good poll ..lol