Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rutola413

Brush fire SOG's

4 posts in this topic

Just wondering for everyone. When you get a call for a brush fire. Do you automatically start mutual aid brush trucks? Tankers?

Also. Do you have a special "dress code" if you will for brush fires. Do you have brush jumpsuits on your trucks or at the stations? (ya know, the one piece fire retardant suit).

Any and all information about how things work down there is greatly appreciated.

Up here in western mass, when the tones go out for a brush fire we will usually start a brush truck and tanker from the next town over and advise when we get on scene. We also have some jumpsuits. But if they are all taken up, the "dress code" we go by is, a good pair of high boots, jeans, a long sleeve flannel type overcoat, good work gloves, and a brush helmet (hard hat with neck protector). If a brush helmet is not available we just throw our structure helmet on.

Also, I would assume all departments in Westchester and around have Indian packs?

in upper dutchess county ny where my dept is located we have more brush fires then anything other fire. usually on a brush fire call its all of our equipment first with no automatic mutual aid . if an officer or engine sees a large smoke column or anything that might give the impression of a large fire an additional brush unit is either requested or put on standby. that decision is made by the officer or engine requesting it. as far as a dress code. we have a 2 piece including pants and shirt wildland suits. we recently got a wildland grand and we are purchasing new wildland boots and gloves. also we have hard hats that we are required to wear. and all the dress equipment is carried by the individual firefighter.

Over in Ulster where I am we respond with our brush truck, tanker, and engine. We have a pickup with a 6 wheeler that goes on standby in quarters in case it is need. Mutual aid has to be requested and it is usually for man power and a tankers. As for dress it can be a nice pair of jeans with work boots, or we can use our bunker pants and boots.

Over in Ulster where I am we respond with our brush truck, tanker, and engine. We have a pickup with a 6 wheeler that goes on standby in quarters in case it is need. Mutual aid has to be requested and it is usually for man power and a tankers. As for dress it can be a nice pair of jeans with work boots, or we can use our bunker pants and boots.

Shadow, I dont know the area of where you are, is it mostly flat land? Hills? Dense woods?

Up here we have alot of pretty nasty hills, so turnout gear isn't a smart idea. You'll be tired when you get to the top of a mountain. Alot of the area we have s inaccesable by our brush truck, or quads.

Granville MA.

take a look on the terrain feature of google