Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oswegowind

Shot Spotter system Update for Yonkers

11 posts in this topic

For the most part this winter when the computer bell rang it was not anything real. However, the past few days as the weather has warmed up, we have gotten actual incidents. 3 times in the last 2 days we have gotten an alert prior to calls from the public and shots have been confirmed. So, I guess it works after all. Although, it is annoying when those guys from aviation fly across The Hill and set off the sensors...

For the most part this winter when the computer bell rang it was not anything real. However, the past few days as the weather has warmed up, we have gotten actual incidents. 3 times in the last 2 days we have gotten an alert prior to calls from the public and shots have been confirmed. So, I guess it works after all. Although, it is annoying when those guys from aviation fly across The Hill and set off the sensors...

Had to go there, right? Alright, I'm on my way down there now to see just how many sensors we can trigger at one time! :P

Trigger as many as you'd like- before 2300hrs ;)

Are there things that resemble gunshot that trigger the system? Things like backfires from vehicles, or fireworks?

Are there things that resemble gunshot that trigger the system? Things like backfires from vehicles, or fireworks?

Yes, it is supposed to be able to differentiate between the sounds it picks up. Other things like metal construction plates being placed are a prime suspect in activating the system...hmmmm M29? From what I learned through research and the minimal education that the department has provided the dispatchers with and a "familiarity" program I got to go to without departmental knowledge is that it learns as it goes. Sort of "smart" technology.

ShotSpotter Website Link

I believe the CO of the Communications Division is the one "learning" the system for more accurate indications and sound evaluation. So far, we have gotten indications for "single gun shot", "firecracker", "multiple gunshots" (usually a particular helicopter, which will remain nameless)...

In fact, I believe that the helicopter will be asked in the near future if they could enter "Blue Thunder" mode...that is just rumor of course!

Trigger as many as you'd like- before 2300hrs ;)

Nice work on the Ludlow St / Stanley Av job. They said numerous calls but never mentioned the shot spotter, do you know if it triggered too?

Yes, it is supposed to be able to differentiate between the sounds it picks up. Other things like metal construction plates being placed are a prime suspect in activating the system...hmmmm M29? From what I learned through research and the minimal education that the department has provided the dispatchers with and a "familiarity" program I got to go to without departmental knowledge is that it learns as it goes. Sort of "smart" technology.

ShotSpotter Website Link

I believe the CO of the Communications Division is the one "learning" the system for more accurate indications and sound evaluation. So far, we have gotten indications for "single gun shot", "firecracker", "multiple gunshots" (usually a particular helicopter, which will remain nameless)...

In fact, I believe that the helicopter will be asked in the near future if they could enter "Blue Thunder" mode...that is just rumor of course!

You took the words right off my keyboard, I was going to say we're upgrading to the Blue Thunder whisper mode. :lol:

I think the real problem is Yonkers bought the budget version of the system. We never have that problem in Mt. Vernon!!! ;)

Whats the lag between the computer notification and calls arriving?

Chris - Is it true that the Yonkers version of it is called the "Oswegowisper"? {Just a ha-ha LOL)

You took the words right off my keyboard, I was going to say we're upgrading to the Blue Thunder whisper mode. :lol:

I think the real problem is Yonkers bought the budget version of the system. We never have that problem in Mt. Vernon!!! ;)

The notification to the dispatcher should be only seconds (less than a minute).

This system will be especially useful if the Mayor's doomsday budget is enacted. When the shotspotter is triggered, the one dispatcher left in the City will know where to send the ME to pick up the body.

In reply to 192:

Well, I cannot find any documentation regarding an activation on the Ludlow/Stanley shooting incident. Doesn't mean it didn't go off.......Did you see the car involved came back to our neck of the woods? Red Mill Rd (???)

In reply to NY:

So far, the incidents that I have been present for, the system goes off before we get any calls. Only a few seconds though. Not significant that I have noticed.

-----