Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

Croton MVA in Water 4/27/10

6 posts in this topic

At 05:40, the Croton FD and Croton EMS were dispatched for a report of a vehicle in the water with person(s) trapped. Conflicting reports to 60 Control put the incident at a couple of different locations in the Village. Croton PD confirmed the incident was at the end of South Riverside Avenue in the Van Cortlandt Manor property. On our arrival, we found multiple police units on the scene with one car on it's roof in the Croton River, some 20 feet below the road. We later found out that this was the result of a pursuit that started in the Montrose/Peekskill area.

As FD units were arriving, NYSP members were in the water, removing the driver from the car and placing him in custody. Originally, a ladder was requested to bring everyone back up, so the ground ladder from E119 was requested then cancelled, as those members were able to get back on land from a lower point.

The subject was evaluated by and transported by Croton EMS to Phelps Memorial Hospital along with NYSP.

Once it was determined that the scene was safe, CFD personnel began to implement a plan to try and contain as much of the escaping fluids as possible. We sent Marine 32 in the water with absorbent pads and booms, and called for additional equipment and support from the Montrose VA Fire Department Hazmat 3 and Marine 21. Luposello's Garage came with one of their large units and pulled the car from the water. A Croton PD diver assisted with securing the car for removal. Con Edison electric and gas, as well as Verizon and AT&T were called due the the car's proximity to underwater utilities in the area. Westchester County Health was on scene as well.

All units were in service at about 09:00.

Our thanks to the Montrose VA FD, Croton EMS and Croton PD for their assistance.

Units on scene:

Croton FD: 2082, E119, R18, M32, TL44 (cancelled en route)

Montrose VAFD: 2573, 2574, MA28, HM3, M21

Croton EMS: 5513, 55B2

Croton PD: Car 1, Car 31, Car 34, Car 36, Car 37, Truck 1, Zodiac

NYSP: Multiple

I've attached one photo from my phone. Sorry it isn't better.

post-34-127238344687.jpg

Edited by Remember585
PEMO3 likes this

post-721-127238943568.jpg

This one is a little clearer.

Con Edison electric and gas, as well as Verizon and AT&T were called due the the car's proximity to underwater utilities in the area.

Chief, very interesting, I don't think many people would have thought about the underwater utility involvement, I was even aware that they existed in that area. I wonder how many other "hidden" utilities there are in the county that are overlooked all the time. I know many people did not realize that the Main Street bridge in Peekskill that was the target of many a box truck turned convertible had a gas main running through it.

Good call on the utilities- i have worked in that section of the Van Cort property (for Verizon) and those cables are not in conduit- they are laid on the bottom, probably buried in silt but still the possibility of damage is there.

Good call on the utilities- i have worked in that section of the Van Cort property (for Verizon) and those cables are not in conduit- they are laid on the bottom, probably buried in silt but still the possibility of damage is there.

I can't take all of the credit for the notification to the utilities, others pointed out their presence to me. I've only been in this area once before, so it was all fairly new to me.