Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FFBlaser

Opinion On DUI And DWI Penalties

5 posts in this topic

The town I live in has suffered far too many DUI and DWI deaths.

What are other states penalties for driving under the influence of any substance, legal or not legal?

A friend of mine from high school was killed by a drunk driver, so I have very strong feelings about DUI/DWI penalties. Namely, they're not strong enough.

Another former friend of mine was in a near fatal accident a couple of years ago while under the influence. All she received (aside from what are likely to be lifetime injuries) was a loss of her license for 6 months. She had to attend a drunk-driver class run by DMV, and she had to pay a whole bunch of insurance surcharges in addition to the DMV-imposed license restoration charges. All of it was for naught and she still, to this day, drives under the influence.

The more we slap people on the wrists for DUI/DWI related incidents, the more they become complacent to the law; thus, the cycle continues, perpetuating more victims like my friend who was killed. Anyone picked up for DUI/DWI should receive a mandatory jail sentence of 6 months for the first offense, a year for the second offense, two years for the third offense, and so on. Maybe then people will take it more seriously, as it won't just be a "driving offense" (like it is in NJ), it will be a criminal offense.

A friend of mine from high school was killed by a drunk driver, so I have very strong feelings about DUI/DWI penalties. Namely, they're not strong enough.

Another former friend of mine was in a near fatal accident a couple of years ago while under the influence. All she received (aside from what are likely to be lifetime injuries) was a loss of her license for 6 months. She had to attend a drunk-driver class run by DMV, and she had to pay a whole bunch of insurance surcharges in addition to the DMV-imposed license restoration charges. All of it was for naught and she still, to this day, drives under the influence.

The more we slap people on the wrists for DUI/DWI related incidents, the more they become complacent to the law; thus, the cycle continues, perpetuating more victims like my friend who was killed. Anyone picked up for DUI/DWI should receive a mandatory jail sentence of 6 months for the first offense, a year for the second offense, two years for the third offense, and so on. Maybe then people will take it more seriously, as it won't just be a "driving offense" (like it is in NJ), it will be a criminal offense.

I myself have lost friends to drunk drivers, as well as friends going to jail for DUI and DWI. Four teenagers were killed when a drunk driver was in the wrong lane and hit them head on. Four teenagers, he probably won't even get the manslaughter charges for the four that were killed and the driver of the car who was airlifted and is suffering health problems. Its really sad. The local government has started impounding drunk drivers cars and auctioning them off however most of them are wealthy businessmen who can afford another car and bail. When is the Federal government going to impose on this "epidemic" ?

I myself have lost friends to drunk drivers, as well as friends going to jail for DUI and DWI. Four teenagers were killed when a drunk driver was in the wrong lane and hit them head on. Four teenagers, he probably won't even get the manslaughter charges for the four that were killed and the driver of the car who was airlifted and is suffering health problems. Its really sad. The local government has started impounding drunk drivers cars and auctioning them off however most of them are wealthy businessmen who can afford another car and bail. When is the Federal government going to impose on this "epidemic" ?

Its not, because of the Reserved Powers section the 10th Amendment to the US Constitution prevents the Federal government from regulating what is essentially a state by state problem. The 10th Amendment states "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." this means that any power not expressly given to the Federal government belongs to the states and it is up to the people in those states to regulate themselves according to that power. Anything that takes place between states like trade is in the power of the federal government.

That being said, one of my friends was killed by a drunk driver when I was 14 before I joined the department.

I am all for stricter penalties for DWI/DUI especially for at risk groups such as repeat offenders and the youth.

What needs to happen is we need to educate the adults as to the dangers like financially, physically, emotionally etc because when we convince adults not to drink and drive that knowledge and wisdom can be passed from person to person and adult to child. We need to instill the true consequences of drinking and driving and change our social norms because for far too long has it been socially acceptable to drink and drink. That needs to change and that needs to change fast.

Edited by bvfdjc316

Because Reserved Powers section the 10th Amendment to the US Constitution prevents the Federal government from regulating what is essentially a state by state problem. The 10th Amendment states "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." this means that any power not expressly given to the Federal government belongs to the states and it is up to the people in those states to regulate themselves according to that power. Anything that takes place between states like trade is in the power of the federal government.

That being said, one of my friends was killed by a drunk driver when I was 14 before I joined the department.

I am all for stricter penalties for DWI/DUI especially for at risk groups such as repeat offenders and the youth.

What needs to happen is we need to educate the adults as to the dangers like financially, physically, emotionally etc because when we convince adults not to drink and drive that knowledge and wisdom can be passed from person to person and adult to child. We need to instill the true consequences of drinking and driving and change our social norms because for far too long has it been socially acceptable to drink and drink. That needs to change and that needs to change fast.

The question I often ask when I am out with friends is: Here are your options

A.Taxi Ride

B. Impounded Car

C. Death

D. Prison

Usually they take option A

But nobody is willing to learn about it.