Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest cjm32990

FDNY EMS Civil Service Exam

5 posts in this topic

Hey all, I just had a few questions about the FDNY EMS program that I hope someone will be nice enough to answer. There's a notice up on the website that the civil service filing is now open, and I've heard that doing that means that you'll get called back for training sooner. So I was wondering:

It's just filing paperwork, and not a test, right?

I got my certification in January, and have zero experience. Will this severely hurt my chances of getting called back?

What's the average wait time to hear back from the FDNY about an opening?

After they call you back, you have to go through more tests than if you wanted to join the military, right? (mostly kidding about that one :P)

I know that there's a physical examination where they test to see if you can handle the strain - I've seen a lot of people say that it's very easy, but what do you actually have to do?

I wish I didn't have all of these questions, but the nyc website is really incredibly unhelpful. Thanks in advance, and a warning: I'll probably think of more questions soon!

Yeah its experienxce based, which means you get more points for time in the 911 system, private company, and vollie ambulance.

No it wont hurt your chances on getting called, but you will only have 70 points on the test for having your tech card. The people with more time in those that I mentioned will be called first. Many people call the provisional line and get hired with zero experience.

With a civil service exam out now, file, but make sure your name is on the list (name, DOB, Drivers license #, tech number and expiration date, and adress). I believe they have to call the people on the civil service list first once the list is made.

The Physical agility is easy, 5 mins on a stairmaster with a 40lb vest, cant touch the railings. Then you go to a hand crank, like bike pedals with friction, do that foe 2 mins as fast as you can. Then they test your leg strength by having you stand on a wooden box, you grab a bar attached to a chain holding on to it with a power grip you lift with your legs like 3 times. I believe there is an arm strength section but I took it back in may of 07 and cant remember. Its really easy, I passed and at the time I was a heavy smoker and out of shape.

If you pass, you will be handed a packet with an application and information on how to fill it out. You will have to call metrotech a few days later, then you should recieve a call from your investigator to set up an appointment to go over your application packet and to get fingerprinted. Its $95 dollars (money order) for the fringer printing. You will recieve a letter in the mail from your investigator confirming your interview date and what to wear and how to have your hair/facial hair. You neex to bring the letter with you to get into metrotech.

Once your investigation is completed then you will move on to psych and medical. If you pass all that, Then you wait for the call to ask if you still want the job and then they tell you what class you will be in next.

Yes there is an arm strength section of the physical agility, you have to lift up on a bar. You will recieve a letter in tge mail before you go and it will explain the tests.

Hey nycemt326 that was great info! I actually took the civil service exam in July. Do you happen to know how long it usually takes for a list to be generated?

Hey nycemt326 that was great info! I actually took the civil service exam in July. Do you happen to know how long it usually takes for a list to be generated?

You should receive an acknowledgment card from DCAS in 90 days from the last day of filing and the list should be generated by then. Good luck!