Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trauma74

Volunteer's idle spin wrecks ambulance

35 posts in this topic

I just stumbled on this post today. I have to inform you guys of some FACTS about the person involved in this incident. I will not mention his name as I know him personally and have worked with him at FDNY/EMS. He is certified in EVOC for several years. He supposedly took a sleepong pill,I don't know if thats true or not.He has had some problems in the past with FDNY/EMS and was arressted for things involving work at the FDNY/EMS. Why he was even allowed to still volunteer at MVAC is beyond me since his conviction on the incident in NYC should have had his EMT card revoked. As for training,NYS now requires you to have some sort of driver certification be it EVOC or some other emergency response driver training. It is now law in NYS to have drivers trained. If the driver is not certified with some sort of training the insurance company can not insure them under the new law. This law covers ALL emergency vehicles operated in NYS including fire apparatus, police vehicles or any other emergency vehicle.The respective agency is responsible to make sure their members are properly trained and certified and have to show proof to the insurance company prior to the member being approved to operate the vehicles. It doesn't get any clearer than that. With that being said, a CDL is not going to make a difference,only practice and experience with an experienced emergency vehicle operator will make the difference.I have seen too many new kids come to the job and think just because they have EVOC they can drive,well guess what?? They usually have an accident with the emergency vehicle within the first 6 months if not sooner. Practice and experience are the only way to learn,simple as that.

In keeping with forum policies, can you please cite the law to which you're referring in your post so others may reference it directly. Thank you.

I am no fan of Paul having worked with him in the Bronx, however that case had nothing to do with his driving ability. That story was more hype than substance. The child was "abandoned" in the Peds ER at the triage area. He was in a rush to get out of a late call and acted childishly in a confrontation with the triage nurse.

ok, i'm going to chime in here. Many moons ago when i first got my EMT here in CT, I used to belong to a VAC here. I'm not going to mention the VAC by name as it doesn't serve a purpose. Anyway, the on duty crew was hungry and took the rig to get something to eat at the local mcdonalds which was on the other end of town. as this was what I would call a rural vac, there were plenty of woods around and on the way back in a rig which had just been refurbed, they struck a deer and totalled out the rig. The vac then changed some rules about when a rig could be out of the building, what it would have on it crew wise (like I said this time the rig was fully staffed) and I believe how far the rig could be from quarters if not on a call. Anyway, I have mixed feelings on this type of issue. should a rig be used to go out to luch per say - if the rig is returning from a call or from fueling up, etc. Then I say ok. If you are not on a call, then thats what your personal vehicle is for. I for one dont advocate taking a rig out for something without a full crew either. In this case the driver was under the influence of sleeping meds and should not have been driving any vehicle period. I'm glad at least that he didnt have a crew on board as they could have been injured, but at the same time, if there were a crew with him, it would be their responsibility not to have been in the vehicle with him if they knew he had taken the med. That also leads me to this issue. If you are on duty at a vac, you have absolutely no business being there in the first place if you are taking sleep meds. you are of no use to the rest of the crew or those you serve. in fact as proven here, you are actually a liability. If you are under the influence of meds or alcohol, you have no buisness being on an emergency vehicle of any kind. And as for using the vehicle for personal errands for the most part I'd say no. And yes, I know I am being a hypocrite on that note as alot of us, myself included have been on duty in between calls and stopped for something to eat or to check something out, etc. So yeah, it's a case of pot calling the kettle black in that respect. However I can honestly say driving under the influence is a definate no-no and I've NEVER done that. all I'm saying is not only are you driving a billboard with your services name on it, you are doing the equvlent of driving a bullet with someones name on it.