Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Firefighter/Police Officer Exam

3 posts in this topic

I'm 27 years old, turning 28 in January 2011 and currently interested in becoming a firefighter or police officer - preferably a firefighter. I was wondering what is the best way of knowing when the exam application opens for both? The information on Westchestergov.com sounds conflicting because it states that the city of White Plains offers their exams independently. So I was wondering if there was a different site for me to keep posted on the upcoming exam application announcement?

Also, I was wondering if anyone can give me some additional insight preparing for the exam. I'm currently a financial adviser, and I don't have any military or civil service background and my highest degree of education is high school. I don't believe I would have much difficulty in the written part of the exam, and as far as the physical part I am in great physical condition as I work out daily.

I appreciate the time...

I'm 27 years old, turning 28 in January 2011 and currently interested in becoming a firefighter or police officer - preferably a firefighter. I was wondering what is the best way of knowing when the exam application opens for both? The information on Westchestergov.com sounds conflicting because it states that the city of White Plains offers their exams independently. So I was wondering if there was a different site for me to keep posted on the upcoming exam application announcement?

Also, I was wondering if anyone can give me some additional insight preparing for the exam. I'm currently a financial adviser, and I don't have any military or civil service background and my highest degree of education is high school. I don't believe I would have much difficulty in the written part of the exam, and as far as the physical part I am in great physical condition as I work out daily.

I appreciate the time...

One of the best way of staying informed of exam announcements is this website. Many P.O and F.F, hopefuls such as yourself post them in this section when they find out about them. There are other websites such as 911hotjobs and usajobs and others that have announcements posted.

The way some jurisdictions work is they have a blanket test, ie Westchester County offers a county wide P.O. exam, then local municipalities will pull off of that list. Other departments will administer there own test (New Rochelle, White Plains, Yonkers, Mt. Vernon...) so they can have total control over the entire process and collect the exam fees.

In my opinion the best way to get into it is try volunteering at your local FD, if available, and get into emergency services that way. You'll see that it is not just a hobby for most people it's a lifestyle. Those are the people that can help you the most. I myself have been trying to get on the job for a long time now... what you have to understand about civil service is it all about the waiting game. Unless you have a big time "hook" (you know somebody) the entire process can be lengthy. Best way to ensure a good chance at employment with PD/FD, etc is to get a 100 on any test they offer and stay clean.

I have had some success with the ARCO books while trying to prepare for a written but recently a found a site that is great. Firequiz.com offers tutorials on areas that are specific to that jurisdiction's test. It's not free but affordable.

I hope this has been a help to you

eric12401 likes this

A newspaper called The Chief comes out on Thursdays. Usually, in the back, there are all the local civil service listings and exam announcements. If you're looking to go Federal, goto www.usajobs.gov. Also, the NYPD seems to always have an exam going; you can always take that to get your foot in the door.