Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest anguspaddy

Dutchess County Cuts Fire Investigation Division From 2011 Budget

40 posts in this topic

The number we were given is that it cost 50,000 dollars to fund the FID for the year. This covers the cost of fuel, equipment, and training for members. It's really not that much with all things considered. It figures out to be $1,500 per district if we go the route of each district having to pay to keep it.

First, your county taxes and fees around every corner should be paying for your country services. Second, there are at least three FDs in Dutchess that do not use the county team for investigations

First, your county taxes and fees around every corner should be paying for your country services. Second, there are at least three FDs in Dutchess that do not use the county team for investigations

I completely agree that the county should pay for the county teams.

And the depts that have their own investigation teams, are the ones that can afford them. Let's admit it, some districts are richer than others, and population density is greater, not all districts, like the ones in northern dutchess, can afford to put their own investigators in their budgets, especially when some departments only get a handful of fires in any given year

I doubt it would happen much either. However, with the fire volume being somewhat low in both Orange and Dutchess counties, I would think it would not be a bad idea to cover both counties and get double the experience. I know up her In St. Lawrence County we use M/A C&O teams on occasion when there are several working fires going on at once or the SLC C&O team is unavailable. I do see why investigators might want compensation for covering other counties, perhaps something will be worked out...Just an idea.

Either way, hopefully in future years, the Dutchess County FID will be added back into the budget. The FID provides valuable manpower and resources. IT is a shame that the FID of all things was chosen to be cut.

What is going on in Dutchess County. Wanting to eliminate Sheriff,s patrols as well other departments manpower status.

Now they are eliminating the FID team that has the training and experience needed to make the correct evaluations

to assist the Fire Depts in the county.

Get away from the political bull and act in the proper way to support the taxpayers that voted you all in.

Since determining the cause of every fire is the lawful duty of the fire chief does anyone know of any plans if the county does indeed stop funding the Fire Investigators.

While I agree that we need to pinch pennies in Dutchess County I believe we are cutting funding in the wrong places.

Bill Steinhaus would rather pave the woods, (Rail Trail) than keep the streets and taxpayers safe... The Rail Tail is a great project, when we have the money. At this time we need to put that money being spent on the higher priorities. I see the construction workers working on the Rail Trail everyday. Lets cut that project for a while and put some of these Firefighters, EMS, Fire Investigation, and Police personnel back where they should be!!!!!

Scrooge lays off Firefighters, Police and EMS personnel just before the holidays. Shame on you Boob Kratchet.I hope you wont have to be visited by 3 ghosts. The Ghosts of Firefighter, EMS, and Police past!!!!!

Sorry watched it with the kids last night :D

Edited by x1243
JetPhoto and effd3918 like this

It looks like funding has been restored but from what I am made aware of, "I have not seen the paperwork yet, but I believe the funding was 100%." from a reliable source.

It looks like funding has been restored but from what I am made aware of, "I have not seen the paperwork yet, but I believe the funding was 100%." from a reliable source.

I hope this is the case. Maybe things can move forward in the County after this debacle.

It is the fire chief's responsibility to cause for an investigation to determine the cause, not to actually determine the cause. Such as least is the wording of the law. This means that they need to have an investigation done, whether its be by the chief themselves, a member(s), etc..., whomever.

Actually it is the Chief's responsibility to determine a cause. He can utilize resources to do so. Here is the NY Law wording directly:

§ 204-d. Duties of the fire chief. The fire chief of any fire

department or company shall, in addition to any other duties assigned to

him by law or contract, to the extent reasonably possible determine or

cause to be determined the cause of each fire or explosion which the

fire department or company has been called to suppress. He shall file

with the office of fire prevention and control a report containing such

determination and any additional information required by such office

regarding the fire or explosion. The report shall be in the form

designated by such office. He shall contact or cause to be contacted the

appropriate investigatory authority if he has reason to believe the fire

or explosion is of incendiary or suspicious origin. For all fires that

are suspected to have been ignited by a cigarette, within fourteen days

after completing the investigation into such fire, the fire chief shall

forward to the office of fire prevention and control information

detailing, to the extent possible: (a) the specific brand and style of

the cigarette suspected of having ignited such fire; (B) whether the

cigarette package was marked as required by subdivision six of section

one hundred fifty-six-c of the executive law; and © the location and

manner in which such cigarette was purchased./quote]

I had more typed out originally but inadvertently caused my post to be lost. Bottom line is this...again we're nothing special. Cuts when needed are needed and the political environment is exactly that...people are tired of being taxed. And if you were in politics and that was your career you'd be doing the same thing...or you would have no career. With that said I'm going to put a twist on this. If it is the Fire Chief's responsibility to determine or cause to be determined a call..why is it not fall on the responsibility of the department/district to fund such resources if they want and need them? I pay fire district taxes...so why is my county tax going to something that is used in other districts and areas far far more often then what occurs in my town/fire district? How about some of the towns where they average not one fire per year but can average a fire every 2 to 3 years if you did the math? I know of some departments who have pretty large "rainy day" funds etc. I'm all for having some back up in the event a large dollar item goes down, an apparatus etc. But you can't tell me they can't find the money in their annual budget to provide funding for a service...a FIRE BASED service, which many people in dutchess county pay fire taxes for which is what the funding should fall under. How about supplementing in by charging a fee to each district...based it on use average or whatever can come up with. But you can't cry about taxes without looking at the entire picture and all services. Do I want to see colleagues laid off..hell no. I think there are better ways to handle cuts like that...does it suck that many budgets start on Jan. 1. Yes...I wouldn't want to be told I was laid off right about now either...but again...political culture equals political mandates. And there is not right time of year to lay someone off. Do it after January 1...and it still effects them making a mortgage payment and often post holiday costs...do it in August and still have to pay a mortgage..and it can still be said with the holidays coming up.

There is only 1 thing as a taxpayer I would never ever oppose in regard to responsible tax increases or funding and that's public safety. But that is actual boots on the ground personnel STAFFING.

The Fire Investigation Division had $25,740 in funding restored for 2011.