Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
osufire90

Mid Mount Quints

4 posts in this topic

I would like to hear some opinions about using a mid mount design for a quint. It seems like with the mid mount ladder, the rear hose bed is unobstructed and can be configured much easier than a split hose bed found on rear mount quints...with an open hose bed like on a mid mount quint LDH couplings wouldn't get hung up as they are laid out like sometimes happens with a rear mount quint. Also, if only one operator is on scene, and he must run both the ladder and the pump (I know, there should be an operator for each, but in low man power situations...), it is easy to jump between the pump panel and the turntable on a mid mount ladder. Looking around, 90% of the quints are rear mounts, and cities that use the total quint concept (St. Louis, Richmond) use rear mount quints. Is there a reason why the mid mount quint isn't more popular?

I know everyone doesn't agree with the total quint concept, or quints at all, but I would just like to see if there are any pros to operating a mid mount quint as a quint.

My Company had an 1972 American LaFrance Quint Midship with a 1250Gpm pump we used as are first due to all house and commercial fires. I drove this rig for years and it was a pleasure to operate cause like you sais short handed an operator could be the MPO on the pump as well as the Aerial. As a Driver and an officer the truck was so much easier then operating our newer rear mount. I truly miss the days with the midship Quint Hose come out faster and without problems. I'd say go with the Midship you'll enjoy it

As far as just operating pump/aerail at the same time mid or rear mout get a truck with pump panel mounted controls as well I know our quint has both pull one switch and u have all thye controll at the pump. Personal I think mid mout ladders are better suited for the majority of needs.

This all comes down to knowing your district again and what works best for a majority of the people you're protecting. If you're in a rural area, with long skinny driveways surrounded by woods, a mid mount will not do you much good when you cannot get the stick up and swung around 180 degrees to the building.

As for comparing a mid/rear mount quint, all you're essentially doing is compairing a mid/rear mount ladder, with the exception of the hose bed in the rear.