Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
conman

Firehouse fundraising

5 posts in this topic

My firehouse is just over 20 years old and its in some pretty bad shape. Besides raising taxes I was looking for some ideas to present to the department on ways to get some extra revenue to put aside for a new firehouse. Thanks everybody in advance.

So guys can give the best replies you may need to provide more info. The reason I say this is because I know in Ulster Co there are firehouses that are owned by the company and rented to the districts not owned by them and all combinations there of. Are you guys a district or company? Is the building district or company owned? Also is the existing property even going to be able to sustain a larger firehouse? I know of existing firehouses in flood plains in Ulster County.

Personally I think grants and grant writers need to be explored. Also the low interest revolving loan is a home run.

My firehouse is just over 20 years old and its in some pretty bad shape. Besides raising taxes I was looking for some ideas to present to the department on ways to get some extra revenue to put aside for a new firehouse. Thanks everybody in advance.

Grants, coin drop (I know of depts. that have collected thousands in one weekend!), etc... A pancake breakfast is an idea....who doesn't love pancakes!?!biggrin.gif

We are a district and I do believe the firehouse is district owned. We have a large enough piece of property to support expansion. The property does need work though. Over the years since the construction of our firehouse, it has began to slowly sink in one corner. We are beginning to outgrow the building. After it was built there was no planning by the old commissioners on saving money for upgrades, expansion or new construction. For the moment we are pretty much putting a band-aid on all the problems that arise. So unfortunately for us we have to live with it until we come up with the funds. The property is just on the outskirts of the esopus creek flood plain. We stayed high and dry during the 2005 flooding in Ulster County. I have been trying to throw around the idea of going green also. So if anyone has any background in green technology or has any knowledge of the incentives or assistance provided by the state or the federal government that would be great. Thanks again!

Due to your handle (name), I do not think we should give you any ideas.

In all seriousness, I think your best bet would be an annual fund drive (mailing), and grants. I am assuming that selling city bonds is not an option?