Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBE

How would you react???

9 posts in this topic

I'm placing this thread here because this is a subject that deals with the early stages of employment. And I had no other idea where to put it.

When I got hired in 1997, my probie class was told by our upper management, "We hired you, we got no problem with firing you." "Don't expect to be off over the summer", "You WILL ALL be working July 4th", "That's a good way to get yourself fired". "Don't expect to see a vacation anytime soon, or any OT" Should I continue??

I know I posted a thread about how we're looking for people, etc. But, isn't there a better way to get the point across that you don't have to get all negative and try to intimidate the new people?? You want people to come to work, you want them to enjoy what they do, you want them to be happy. You want them to STICK AROUND!!!

I have given this a lot of thought and have come up with some much better ways to do it.

This job is what you make it, folks. Make the most of what is being taught to you and you will succeed. This can be a great job for most people. There are a lot of positives, to it. Camraderie with your peers and superiors. Self satisfaction in a job well done. Knowing in some way, shape, or form, you may have just saved someones life today.

Just like any job, there are some negatives. Since our line of work is a 24/7/365 career, You will be required to work nights and weekends. There will be times in your first year here where you will have to work holidays. You may miss that Thanksgiving dinner at Moms house or the birthday party of a loved one. If this is not your cup of tea, there's the door.

You're going to be asked to learn and absorb a lot of information in a short amount of time. We believe you can do it and your instructors will devote themselves to working with you. You will have to study hard and not become complacent just because you have been hired. If this does not appeal to you, there's the door.

You will be expected to arrive on time, and be released from duty when your supervisor says you can go. You need to stay out of trouble and away from negative influences. You are going to be held to a higher standard than most people because of who you work for and what you represent. Please understand that the choices you make can be the difference between life and death. This is the business we are in, folks. If you choose not to abide by these rules, there's the door.

A lot less negativity, but stern. I think it gets the point across. I was wondering what you folks thought of it because I am constantly hearing probies say the same things I heard 8 years ago when I was in their shoes.

I know I posted a thread about how we're looking for people, etc. But, isn't there a better way to get the point across that you don't have to get all negative and try to intimidate the new people?? You want people to come to work, you want them to enjoy what they do, you want them to be happy. You want them to STICK AROUND!!!

Ah , JBE, how long have you worked for the City of New York? It doesn't really matter what agency you work for, I've been with a City agency for over 25 years and I don't think employee happiness is in their vocabulary. LOL

This seems to be a trend, it doesn't matter what job we are talking about, ie... Policeman,Firefighter,Dispatcher,Dpw. New people on the job expect to have good vacation picks, the best jobs at the workplace etc.. People need to remember that Emergency service's are Paramiltary, There are people who need to be asked to do something , rather to be told to do something,and the big problem with today's society workforce is this is probably thier first job.

Kids today don't like to be told to do anything, You have to ask them to do it. (clean your room! or can you clean your room haha) What do you think the answer would be. So to respond to the previous post , that the instructors are too stern (mean) its just that todays workforce doesn't like to listen to good advice from people with seniority, There is no such think as a senior man anymore. A guy with 2 yrs wants the guy with 25 yrs to give up his summer vacation because he had it last yr . You need to earn it , put your time in before you get it. Thats what to instructors meant to say to the probies, but they hurt the new guys feelings. GET OVER IT. :-k :roll:

pbvpm,

You hit it right on the head. Basically the problem is that the new guys thing that I now have a job, and that job is the same as someone who has been there for 30 years. Since the job is the same, I should be treated the same end of story. I just got out of the academy and our instructors, although not nearly as harsh as JBE put it, did a good job of informing us that we are the new guys and what being the new guy entails. They didnt have to hammer it into our heads, because we understood them before they even said anything. Anyone who is taking this job should already know their place long before they hit any training academy. If you dont, as JBE said, there is the door.

Any management course would tell you to emphasize the positives. I am not sure how FDNY does anything but it should be a requirement to take a management course that talks about how to talk to your members or employees. I am sure every department volunteer or paid has the same problem. I watch American hot rod every friday and love how Boyd treats his employees, makes you want to work for him. Any happy employee, no matter what the profession is, would do anything for thier employeer if they are happy. Being happy also makes you forget how under paid you think you are.

Also understand the not everyone, especially people not from the fire service do not understand paying your dues. How many departments have younger guys that think they are above washing rigs?

Also understand the not everyone, especially people not from the fire service do not understand paying your dues.  How many departments have younger guys that think they are above washing rigs?

Answer is : How many Fire Departments are there? That is how many Departments have younger or new members that think they are above washing rigs. :roll:

amen pbvpm

i may be on the other side of the world but its the same over here,gee do i really sound like that guy 20 years ago that i said i'd never sound like lol

I'm all for recognizing length of service time of employees in the fire service, but just to provide a differing point of view....

Isn't the "senior man" already being compensated for his length of time in service with better pay, more vacation time, better vacation picks, and longevity pay than the "junior man"?

Certainly, the "junior man" should get more of the "grunt work" than the "senior man" gets, he definitely has to pay his dues...but he shouldn't be getting ALL of it. I've seen it on some jobs where the senior guys don't want to do ANY of the grunt work, only the exciting/glory work. Isn't the senior man is still on the clock, earning a taxpayer subsided salary & benefits? He should be EARNING that money and vacation time day in/day out just like the junior guy does. This has nothing to do with tradition, just with doing the right thing by each other & by the taxpayers who support the department.

And from the junior guy's perspective, he's going to be much more motivated to do a good job & work hard if he is lead by the example of hard working senior guys. The senior guys will earn the RESPECT of the junior guys by also working hard, not by basically saying "I'm too good to do this, you do it", and pushing all of the crap work off to somebody else.