Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest PabloGem

Need Help with 9-11-11 Tribute

5 posts in this topic

I am organizing a cross country Mustang rally to New York to remember the 10th anniversary of the 9-11 attacks. We would like to pay our respects at the Brooklyn Wall of Rememberance on the morning of 9-11-11. We have an American flag that was flown over an American forward operating base in Afghanistan that we would like to present to the N Y F D. This is the same base that the Bin Laden attack was launched from.

I don't have any idea who to contact with the N Y F D. I'm hoping we can get a representative of the fire department to accept the flag. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ! We are also hoping to do some sort of tribute to those 343 who perished while we're at the wall. So far we have about 30 cars who would like to participate in the visit to the wall. Below is a link to a trip thread here on EMT Bravo and our trip website

Thanks for your help, Paul Gemellaro trip organizer

Link to our trip website:

http://www.mustangtributerun911.com/

post-20260-0-54218200-1305928897.jpg

A little history on the flag we would like to present to the NYFD if I can find someone to accept it in N Y:

Our 9-11 Mustang Tribute Run to New York flag that was flown over the United States Forward Operations Base at Jalalabad, AF on 06 March, 2011. Exactly 55 days before the United States strike launched from Jalalabad that resulted in the death of Osama Bin Laden. Our flag represents an Alfa and Omega point in history. By presenting these colors to the people who bore the battle in the beginning, the New York Fire Department will receive are part of what happened during the preparation and excution of the events that took place on May 1st, 2011."

For opsec of our folks, we can keep the name of the base to ourselves since it is on the authentication certificate, which is signed by a LTC and the command sergeant major. Again, the flag is a 3x5 storm flag in size which is correct for "presentation flags" flown over combat bases. Those you see presented that are 5x9 post flags are probably "faked" because those are for "retirement ceremonies" and capitol building presentations. Ain't that cool! At least our guys will know that we are not shooting blanks at this party. My Army buddies think I am crazy for giving this flag up - I think this is the better thing to do. I do believe your fire chief might even be impressed.

That is indeed a great idea and a thoughtful thing to do. First off, it's FDNY, not NYFD. No biggie but people will notice. Secondly, I doubt you will get any recognition from any higher-ups in the FDNY for the sole reason that they are just too big of an organization. My advice would be to contact individual companies (firehouses) and ask to speak with the house officer. You might get an individual firehouse to accept and display your flag. Start with companies in lower Manhattan like 10-10 House.

That is indeed a great idea and a thoughtful thing to do. First off, it's FDNY, not NYFD. No biggie but people will notice. Secondly, I doubt you will get any recognition from any higher-ups in the FDNY for the sole reason that they are just too big of an organization. My advice would be to contact individual companies (firehouses) and ask to speak with the house officer. You might get an individual firehouse to accept and display your flag. Start with companies in lower Manhattan like 10-10 House.

Thanks for your suggestions ! And thanks for clearing up the FDNY NYFD name....I had no clue.

Unfortunately I haven't got a single response from anyone at FDNY or from the many local fire houses I have emailed. Also we will not be able to visit the Brooklyn Wall on 9-11 as its closed for private ceremonies.

Since I have no one at FDNY to present the American flag to I will probably tell my friend who obtained it to keep it for his family.(His son is deployed in Afghanistan )