Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

AEDs and Marine Units (Boats)

7 posts in this topic

A few questions to those of you in the know...

1. Does anyone carry an AED on their Fire/Rescue Boats or Police Boats?

2. Do you have any SOPs regarding it's use on the boat?

3. Has anyone had to use it?

I've researched it a bit and couldn't find any GOOD information, but if it's a safe enough operation, I don't want to sell ourselves short and not put one on our boat.

Thank you.

(I know the basics, like I can't shock someone in the water or if they're laying on a wet deck...)

As long as you follow the basic principles you mentioned, utilizing an AED on a boat is no different then using it anywhere else. A lot of private dive operations equip their dive vessels with AED's.

They're perfectly safe on a boat. Your concerns are with ensuring the patient's chest is dry. There are some studies that support CPR during defibrillaton as being safe for the rescuers. If you're that concerned with stray voltage mopping up any extra water with a towel should suffice once on the boat.

There are some studies that support CPR during defibrillaton as being safe for the rescuers.

Only if the defibrillator is Biphastic, correct?

Likely. However monophasic are not administering so much more energy as I'd expect a substantial difference. The PADI and DAN AED training make no distinction between the two.

Thanks for the info guys.

I was reading the manual for our AEDs and checked all of my instructor stuff and that's pretty much the consensus from each avenue checked. Thanks again.

I know that the Orange County Sheriffs Marine Unit has AED on board and all members of the Marine Unit are EMTs