Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firecoins

Medic call audits

12 posts in this topic

Anyone have any upcoming call audits they know of?

Websites were check before the posting. The reason I ask was a call audit session in New Rochelle by Transcare medic was mentioned that is not listed on the Westchester site. I suspect there might be more unlisted ones.

Call Audits are getting harder and harder to find. Phelps scaled back their audits at the end of last year when Dr. Nigro started scaling back his activities. Several ERs in Weschester don't hold regular ones at all (Mount Vernon for one). There has been a lot of talk about getting rid of call audit requirements altogether in favor of something more along the lines of what HVREMSCO does with Medical Control Contact hours. I hope it proves to be true.

Call Audits are getting harder and harder to find. Phelps scaled back their audits at the end of last year when Dr. Nigro started scaling back his activities. Several ERs in Weschester don't hold regular ones at all (Mount Vernon for one). There has been a lot of talk about getting rid of call audit requirements altogether in favor of something more along the lines of what HVREMSCO does with Medical Control Contact hours. I hope it proves to be true.

I know I would wholeheartedly support getting rid of the audit requirements and doing medical control contact hours. IMHO, call audits are an asbolute waste of time. To sit for an hour and listen to the same nonsense over and over again, on my own time nonetheless, it just plain ridiculous. And now trying to find audits that coordinate with my work schedule is near impossible. I hope you're not teasing me WAS!! :)

Same here JJB. I don't mind call audits in concept...but think the requirement should be reduced to like 12 a year or the equal to 1 a quarter. I'm in the same boat with my schedules as its hard to get to them when you're making a living using the card which is hard to get to keep up with the requirements.

You can always do a bedside call audit for .25 credit hours :blink:

You can always do a bedside call audit for .25 credit hours :blink:

I've never seen anyone do those.

Oddly Hudson Valley lists some 3 hour medical control classes at WCMC. I assume they would count in Westchester as caull audits too? I shouldn't assume but its probably a good guess that they are since a WestchesterMACed doctor would be doing it.

Bedside audits only get you a max of 4 hours, but if your on good terms with the doc it's an easy 0.25 hours (signature). But yeah Joe, it's been alluded to a LOT lately. We had a long discussion at the Phelps Audit about it. I hope it goes through as well. An occasional call review with one or two interesting calls including followup isn't a bad thing, but medical control contact hours make more sense.

I've been doing this for alot of yrs. & I gotta tell you that most call audits are a waste of time. We get very little out of it (except how to or how not to document). Most of the time the medic of the call is not there, the presenters, including the doc's are unprepared, that is to say they haven't seen the PCRs prior to walking in the room,(or have looked at them just prior to walking into the Rm)or they've done no follow-up on the call & unless the have first hand knowledge of the patient have nothing extra to contribute, except what they infer while trying to read off the PCR. They (the PCRs) are hard, if not impossible to read. On top of this they have always been hard to get, you see most of the Docs (if they're honest) don't like doing them either & some must be begged or blackmailed by their attending to give them. If I had my way I would: 1) cut the total # of Hrs in half. 2) Give them in one central place that could hold a fair # of people. 3) Have them presented by a select few which would include a medic level inst. &/or sr. field medic who is currently riding, & a select # of docs who could rotate the duty. 4) Increase the # of session hrs.(1 hr is a waste of the shift, & I wouldn't mind coming in for 3 hrs if I got something out of it.) 5) Repeat the same topic on different days and shifts (allowing you to attend only one.)so that people can get their Hrs in. 6) Have pre-registration (in defense of the Docs, they HATE coming in & finding no one or just one person there.) Finally, maybe even have the medic of the call present the topic. Certainly not all audits or presenters are a waste, unfortunatly the good ones are far to few. (No offense intended ;) )