Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest plumberfourthg

Popular Mechanics Home Built Shop Lamp

1 post in this topic

I posted the following paragraph on Facebook and sent the same info to Popular Mechanic's editors. You can find the article on line at the PM website. A firematic friend asked me to post my note on this web site. Wayne

Dear PM editors:

What were you thinking when you published this article? At first glance it seems like a harmless, inexpensive project but it is neither. There are several serious violations of the National Electric Code: 1. No mention is made of grounding the lamp, nor are there any details of the electric wiring. 2. Running an electric cord through a hole drilled through a black pipe tee is an invitation for disaster, there should be a strain relief or at a minimum a non conductive bushing, 3. There is no photo or drawing of the lamp socket and no mention of how it attaches to the 45 degree elbow. I do not think the NEC allows a socket that "floats" inside of a pipe fitting.

If the NEC violations were addressed then you would still be faced with the bill for the parts of over 45 dollars (without tax or shipping). I have been a PM reader for over 40 years, am a licensed New York State Professional Engineer, and a fourth generation plumber. Please issue a correction or retraction of this article before this lamp trips a breaker, starts a fire or electrocutes someone! Thank you for listening.

Wayne A. Bunker P.E.

PM Saturday: Build This Rugged Iron Pipe Lamp

www.popularmechanics.com

A workshop is no place for a dainty lamp. But a little scrap iron pipe, a few fittings, and some simple wiring are all it takes to make this rugged shop illuminator.