Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

NYS Minimum FF Training for Volunteers

3 posts in this topic

FACT: This is not the place for everyone to get on a soap box and preach how we need more training. We can save that for another thread.

NYS states that the following training is the "minimal recommended training for an interior firefighter."

Prior to 8/1/02: Firefighting Essentials and Initial Fire Attack

Between 8/1/02 and 12/31/05: Basic Firefighter and Intermediate Firefighter Training

After 12/31/05: Firefighter I and Firefighter Survival

My question to anyone that knows this is this:

At what point in time was this the decided upon minimum requirements? If, for example, OFPC implemented this on 1/1/06 - does that mean everyone before that date is technically "grandfathered" or do they have to go and take the classes they may need?

For example, if a member took Essentials in 1985 and Survival in 2001, do they need to take something equal or greater to Initial Fire Attack to remain "Interior?"

And lastly, what do you do about those that just "need" Initial Fire Attack or Intermediate Firefighter that is no longer offered?

Thanks for the input.

Edited by Remember585

Every time they changed the requirements they posted an equivalents list. I had taken essentials and initial fire attack, but to take advanced firefighter there was a list of a few classes I had to take in order catch up. That list should still be floating around OFPC

It seems to me that what you have emphatically declared is a "fact' is actually not a fact, but rather your opinion...

I actually think this forum is the appropriate place to state our opinions, such as my opinion that it is a real disgrace that the minimum standards for volunteer Firefighters in NYS are so inferior to the minimum standards for career Firefighters.

For the factual answer to your question, rather than asking on here, why not just call OFPC?