Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SRS131EMTFF

Vermont State Police response falls short, rescuers charge

6 posts in this topic

Vermont State Police response falls short, rescuers charge

http://vtdigger.org/2012/02/12/when-a-hike-in-vermont-goes-awry-no-one-may-come-to-the-rescue/

A responsible hiker, hunter, angler or backcountry skier brings along a cell phone and appropriate gear, and lets his family or friends know where he’s going and when he’s expected back before heading into the wilderness. If he doesn’t make it back at the appointed hour, his family can call 9-1-1 and report that he is missing.
The Search and Rescue Unit could not possibly have engaged in a timely response that night because they were never informed that Duclos was reported missing. The New Haven barracks of the Vermont State Police did not notify the Search and Rescue Unit until shortly before going off-shift at 2 a.m. Vermont has no state police coverage from 2 a.m. until 7 a.m.
The Emily Proctor Trail traverses the Breadloaf Wilderness area of the Green Mountain National Forest, connecting with the Cooley Glen and Long Trail to form a popular 12-mile loop that lies in the towns of Ripton and Lincoln. Both towns have first responders associated with their fire departments, staffed by volunteers who are intimately familiar with this terrain from hunting, hiking and rescuing dozens of other lost or injured hikers. Had the call come in as an injured hiker rather than an overdue hiker, these two entities would have been the primary responders.

Shortly after the new year, a 19 year old hiker was found dead after being reported missing the day before. This incident occurred in a region where the State Police (VSP) have primary jurisdiction. Due to the miscommunication, the report of a missing hiker was not passed up the chain of command effectively. Additionally, further complicating the matter are Vermont's AHJs/Laws and VSP procedures.

This article is a pretty good look at the convoluted world of back-country, wildland and other remote location search and rescue organization from the federal to the state and local level.

Edited by SRS131EMTFF

No Vermont State Police coverage between 2 a.m. and 7 a.m. ? OMG !!!

No Vermont State Police coverage between 2 a.m. and 7 a.m. ? OMG !!!

Cool at least now I know when I should leave to visit my friends in Burlington.

You're telling me! I'm also in school up here in Burlington and from the Troopers I've talked to, they're basically covering many of the small towns in Vermont that don't have their own police departments. The 2 a.m. to 7 a.m. thing means they're "on duty" as they get called out (like a volunteer department) in the middle of the night and respond from their homes.

Then again, Vermont has a central point for all of their special teams (i.e. bomb squad, SWAT), which can take some time to assemble. They also do not own any aviation equipment.

You're telling me! I'm also in school up here in Burlington and from the Troopers I've talked to, they're basically covering many of the small towns in Vermont that don't have their own police departments. The 2 a.m. to 7 a.m. thing means they're "on duty" as they get called out (like a volunteer department) in the middle of the night and respond from their homes.

Then again, Vermont has a central point for all of their special teams (i.e. bomb squad, SWAT), which can take some time to assemble. They also do not own any aviation equipment.

VSP does not own any aviation equipment but with the air national guard base in South Burlington/Essex/Colchester full of combat ready UH-60 Blackhawks only a few minutes away from one specialized team depots at the Williston barracks it really does not matter. Additionally, Albany and the NYSP Aviation is only miles away from many parts of Southern Vermont, the lack of aviation is rarely a hindrance.

On more than one occasion I have heard VSP conducting an area search for perps near farms or victims in the water or in the mountains using VTANG Blackhawks.

Vermont State Police altering search policy following hiker's death

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20120227/NEWS02/120227012/Vermont-State-Police-altering-search-policy-following-hiker-s-death?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

MONTPELIER — Vermont State Police say they will revise their search-and-rescue policy in response to the January death of an Addison County hiker.

State police came under scrutiny following the Jan. 9 death of Levi Duclos, 19, of New Haven, who had been hiking in the Green Mountains in the Ripton area.

Some of those involved, including Duclos’ aunt, said their recommendation is that state police not be the lead agency for search and rescue cases. “We feel strongly that state police maybe shouldn’t have that responsibility,” Kathy Duclos said, noting that research has indicated that in 45 of 50 states, other entities take the lead on search and rescues. “I think they have enough on their plate; maybe they’re stretched thin. They’re too hierarchic, too process-driven.”
Edited by SRS131EMTFF