Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lt411

Foam

3 posts in this topic

Our department is looking to update our foam equipment, including eductors, application devices, and concentrate. We want to go to a single type of foam that will take care of most transportation/hydrocarbon fires. We are not looking at class A foam at this time, just foam for "B" fires.

What type/brand of foam are your depts. using?

What NFPA standard covers foam operations?

Is there any shelf-life for concentrate?

Does anyone carry/ever actually used "in anger" high-expansion foam? We 've had it in our inventory for 30 yrs-never used at an operation.

Thanks for your replies!

STAY SAFE!

Our department is looking to update our foam equipment, including eductors, application devices, and concentrate. We want to go to a single type of foam that will take care of most transportation/hydrocarbon fires. We are not looking at class A foam at this time, just foam for "B" fires.

What type/brand of foam are your depts. using?

What NFPA standard covers foam operations?

Is there any shelf-life for concentrate?

Does anyone carry/ever actually used "in anger" high-expansion foam? We 've had it in our inventory for 30 yrs-never used at an operation.

Thanks for your replies!

STAY SAFE!

We use Universal Gold 1%-3% - It is a alcohol resistant aqueous form filming foam. It is used at 1% for hydrocarbons and 3% for polar solvents. I know that your not looking at "A", but we have found you can bring this down to 1/2% and works good as a A or wetting agent. We have a large chemical facility and when I was Chief we collaborated on what type of foam we should be using (they had large foam tanks that injected into the sprinker system) on thier products. We figured it worked their, it would work just about on everthing else.

We use simple thru the pump eductors with KK nozzles (TFT's adjustable gallonage nozzle company) with the foam tubes made for hose nozzles. Typically the shelf life is 3 years, per the manufacturer, but the reality is that it will work for many years. We also run angus portable eductors, but rarely tuse them , we do drill with them .

We had high expansion foam and a foam generator (big fan type unit ) we used it a few times in the 70's /80's but ended up using it more for a big fan. We expended the last 30 gallons of it one night in the parking lot and then retired the machine. We still have the machine, hasn't run in a few years.

We use Universal Gold 1%-3% - It is a alcohol resistant aqueous form filming foam. It is used at 1% for hydrocarbons and 3% for polar solvents. I know that your not looking at "A", but we have found you can bring this down to 1/2% and works good as a A or wetting agent. We have a large chemical facility and when I was Chief we collaborated on what type of foam we should be using (they had large foam tanks that injected into the sprinker system) on thier products. We figured it worked their, it would work just about on everthing else.

We use simple thru the pump eductors with KK nozzles (TFT's adjustable gallonage nozzle company) with the foam tubes made for hose nozzles. Typically the shelf life is 3 years, per the manufacturer, but the reality is that it will work for many years. We also run angus portable eductors, but rarely tuse them , we do drill with them .

We had high expansion foam and a foam generator (big fan type unit ) we used it a few times in the 70's /80's but ended up using it more for a big fan. We expended the last 30 gallons of it one night in the parking lot and then retired the machine. We still have the machine, hasn't run in a few years.

From what I've read and seen universal gold is an outstanding foam. Has great knockdown ability, heat absorption and blanket life.

As my brother above pointed out...most foam gurus will tell you that as long as the foam hasn't been opened and exposed to air or subjected to significant temperature fluctuations, it will be effective well after its shelf life.

As far as delivery, if you're using in-line foam eductors, ensure that the GPM rating on your eductor matches your nozzles. I have yet to see any foam adapter for standard nozzles not be effective in producing a quality foam blanket when given the right foam solution at the right flow. My preference..and this is about the only time you'll see me mention this as a preference for its nozzles is the TFT adapter for their nozzle.

NFPA 11 "Standard on low, medium and high expansion foam" is the standard.

Edited by alsfirefighter