Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Does Firefighter One make you an Interior Firefighter?

9 posts in this topic

Just wondering what the state law is about Firefighter One and interior firefighting?

The curriculum covers it, yes.

But check with your Department about their rules too. Some places call for more training, physicals (there's that word again), mask confidence, etc.

There is no "state law" concerning interior firefighting.

The Firefighter 1 curriculum exceeds the OSHA Fire Brigade Standard concerning what a interior firefighter should have. It meets the NFPA 1001 Standard on Professional qualification for firefighters.

that is what i originally thought

I think there should be more requirments than just FF 1... In the department in the town that i reside in.. there are multiple requiremtns for interior status. One is an annual physical. Two is FF1, the third is mask confidence, and the final is fire fighter survival.. all these elements give a person the common knowledge of fire fighting. Although they should continue in house training. Also in this department, new interior fire fighters are only allowd to go in with volunteer officers, ar a paid guy. This is to break them in a little so they dont become over whelmed. Also it gives us a chance to rate on how good they perform in a real life situation. as appose to the county training center.

Alont the topic of FF1 and trainging in general, a freind of mine took basic FF with me, unfortunatly he was unable to take intermediate with me so he is not interior. is intermediate still being offered or is he going to have to take FF1?

First, annual physicals are a OSHA requirement under the respiratory protection standard. So as far as that is concerned to be qualified "interior" you need to pass a physical to be cleared to wear a respirator.

Second if you have FF1, that means you've been through mask confidence, so FF 1 covers that. I agree with you on the survival, and much of the survival skills are in the FF1 curriculum.

Intermediate Firefighter will no longer exist after April 1st 2006. So if anyone has basic you will need it before then or you will have to take FF1.

Right i know it is done in the FF 1 class.. im just saying anaually as a refesher, we do osha, survival, mask confidance, and a physical. this is to stay interior.

Firefighter One does give you the classification of an interior firefighter. but the chief has to deem you an interior firefighter when he feels you are ready