Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest slickered

NYS D.O.T.?

3 posts in this topic

not sure if this is the appropriate forum but i cant seem to find info anywhere. i was thinking of joining the department of transportation as trainee(while i wait to be called by the police department). anyone know what they do besides plow snow? and typical work hours? if also if its possible to move between districts if i move to another part of the state. Thank you

x4093k likes this

DOT does roadwork obviously. But they do highway mowing, bridge work etc. You can get hired with a class d license but they require a minimum of a class b. You can range from a "grunt" (no offense to any DPW workers) to a truck driver to a machine operator. You can also be a shop mechanic. Hours depend on whats going on and I believe what shop you located out of. Normal schedule is 6 to 230 I believe. I know someone who works out of the DOT shop in Boicevlle in Ulster and if I remember correctly once daylight savings starts they go to a four ten work week with fridays off. Not sure if that's statewide. I would assume a lateral to another location would be easy.

well so you know the dot is highway maintenece mainly i work in vallhalla ny westchester cty in order to get hired in ops which is what we do you need a class b cdl licence then once hired you have a yr to get 5 certs on equipment you may use like a lg dump truck a loader and one person plowing (opp) right now times are tuff in nys we just laided off all the seasonal workers who worked for the winter we hope to hire again during the summer there are seasonal workers in our parks dept and lifeguards at the pools and beaches which they are hiring now but other then that you have to check with each local office and county