Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
babhits16

Sandy Reflection: Idea's for Future

1 post in this topic

As Hurricane Sandy has passed, many of you have worked down here on Long Island, you've seen the devastation. And as an LI resident I cannot tell you how grateful everyone is, even if they haven't put it into words, I live in one of the harder hit south shore communities everyones still a bit 'shell shocked'.

However, I found that once the storm hit and peoples homes were destroyed the only offered service to them basically FEMA money, and free food. Victims were left to pump out there own basements, gut their houses (risk of asbestos, mold etc.) and salvage themselves. I feel as if more help should be given to them.

I've been tossing around in my head an idea for some sort of non profit agency for storm cleanup and preparation, basically the folioing duties;

- Storm salvage

- Basement pumping

- House gutting

- Cut downed trees (not involved with electrical wires)

- First Aid? (only if proper training)

- Search and Rescue? (only if proper training)

- Storm/ flood warnings

- Help prepare homes for flood (raising furniture, move to second floor, sandbags etc.)

I think this could be a great way to help give back to (in my case) my community and for other who feel the need to help. The fire and police departments cannot do everything. In your opinions what do you guys think of such an idea? Is there value in it? I just want to hear such opinions, not so much in the legal (what about insuring everyone etc.) sort of way.

Thank you all and Happy Thanksgiving!