Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest NYTruckie

2004 EMS Awards

9 posts in this topic

What is the Dawson award?

Did anyone see anything on the tv or in the paper about the EMS awards dinner? I know news 12 covered the police awards. Maybe I just missed it.

pudge... NEWS12 almost NEVER covers EMS.

Named for William Dawson Sr, past owner of Abbey Richmond Ambulance and pioneer in EMS in Westchester County, also one of the first Paramedic in New York State (I think his EMT number was something like # 000008). Anyways, the awards was created in his honor and is awarded to an individual who demonstrates an exceptional contribution to EMS as a whole. The recipient need not be affiliated with any particular agency or facility. The Dawson award isn't given out every year, but has been given out the past several years.

Does anyone beside me see the extreme irony in giving Ray Thompson the EMS Educator of Excellence award?

Dave,

Just brings the point that EMS really is the red headed stepchild. I just wanted to make sure i didnt miss anything on it.

Good point WAS. Lets nominate the entire staff if you know what i mean

Perhaps we can suggest to the organization committee for the EMS Awards Dinner that they notify local media (Journal News, News12, etc) about the event. I was told it was well advertised but I didn't find out about it until the day after. If the media isn't alerted to the event, they won't know any better than to cover it. There was more talk about it being PD something or other week than of it being EMS week. Perhaps next year we can have a letter writing campain. Write a letter to the editor of local newspapers state what EMS week and why people should know about it.

Does anyone beside me see the extreme irony in giving Ray Thompson the EMS Educator of Excellence award?

What is that supposed to mean? Please expand on you irony. What irony is it.