Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
50-65

Need info on antique fire extinguisher

6 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone on here knows anything or anyone who can give me info on a fire extinguisher I recently acquired. I've done some google searches without a lot of luck.

This is what I do know. It is a Pyrene. I believe it to be a 1 gallon, hand pump, pressurized type. I'm not sure if it is steel or brass as it is painted olive drab green. It has a paper label (very bad condition) instead of their more common embossed metal label. It seems to indicate that it is a military or war time emergency extinguisher.

I'm suspecting that like other Pyrene extingishers, it is CTC (carbontetrachloride).

I'll try to post some pics but if anyone could point me in a direction I'd appreciate it.

Probably Carbon Tet and probably WWII, judging by the olive drab color and paper label. If you can see the label, see if it says anything like Civil Defense on it. During WWII, they had civilians called Fire Wardens. Their job was to fight fires in the event of an incendiary attack on America. Some were issued extinguishers and those extinguishers varied from buckets of sand to actual extinguishers.

Also, is it wider at the top than at the Bottom? Then it is probably what I described above

It is carbon tet. Found that it is a steel body with brass ends. Unfortunately, the label is too far gone to save. I'll probably strip it, repaint the body and polish the brass ends. I have enough of the original wood handle that it can be duplicated.

What would be the safest way to dispose of the contents?

Carbon Tet is:

A good parts cleaner

An excellent dry cleaning solution

A wonderful stain remover

AND, UNFORTUNATELY, A CARCINOGEN

There lies your problem, Tim. Check with your local Hazmat guys. I don't even know if it is taken on those household Hazmat turn-in days.

Sorry I wasn't more help

Edited by wraftery

Besides killing you slowly by exposure to the chemical itself, one of the main reasons they don't use it in fire extinguishers anymore is that it produces phosgene gas when heated. You would put out the fire and then suffocate on the gas produced.

wraftery likes this

Take it to Westchester County disposal site on the reservation. Visit the web site to make appointment. I just disposed a carbon tet grenade last month.