Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

2 Men Accused of Interfering With NYPD Police Choppers With Laser Pointer

2 posts in this topic

2 Men Accused of Interfering With NYPD Police Choppers

With Laser Pointer

Wednesday, Oct 1, 2014 • Updated at 5:14 AM EDT

Police say they’ve arrested two men on felony charges after they allegedly interfered with NYPD helicopters in separate incidents last month, with one allegedly deliberately shining a laser pointer at a pilot and another allegedly flying a drone too closely to a department chopper.

Police say that 26-year-old Daniel Parris was cuffed on suspicion that he shined a laser pointer at a chopper that was hovering over Jamaica Hills, Queens, during a search for an assault suspect on Sept. 24.

The chopper pilot said that he was hovering about 750 feet over the neighborhood when he saw a green flash that illuminated the entire cockpit, according to the NYPD. The flash forced him to take off the night-vision goggles he was using to conduct the search.

STORY: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/NYPD-Chopper-Helicopter-NYC-Obstruction-Laser-Pointer-Drone-Brooklyn-Queens-277705321.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_NYBrand

I remember this happening to the WCPD Chopper a while back. VERY DANGEROUS!

dwcfireman likes this

his is extraordinarily dangerous! I don't even know why these high power lasers are offered to the public. They're cool to have, but what do you really need it for other than trying (and failing) to scare away geese?

And now I can bet you we're going to see more people being arrested for flying their drones, regardless if they're too close to a police chopper or a private jet.