SteveC7010

NFPA 1917 vs CAAS GVS-2015

3 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any current info on which standard NYS DOH might be favoring for adoption?

Is anyone paying any attention at all to either of these specs if you're looking at a new unit in the next year or two?

We're looking at purchasing a new ambulance on a 2016 chassis to replace our 2006 type III. The search team just got started and we have yet to even begin to compile a list of what we want in the patient care area. But we're concerned about the effect of a new standard on what we'll be buying.

I'll be seeing our BEMS reps on the 19th but thought I'd toss this out for discussion now so that I've got a broader view of what the EMS community is thinking on the subject.

I was at an event where Lee Burns (head of DOH EMS division) was speaking. She indicated NY will not be adopting either of those specs and will be staying with their part 800 spec for a while. They might be upgrading a few bits and pieces but nothing like adopting NFPA or Caas. The thing to remember about these specs is once they are legal, all ambulance builders will adjust to them.

For example, NY is one of only 7 or so states that do not recognize the GSA KKK spec. That spec has been widely adopted across the country since the 70s. But any ambulance sold in Ny is atleast a KKK level ambulance. It costs the manufacturer too much money to build to different specs. Better to build to the most stringent and anything beneath that level is covered.

The biggest impact of the NFPA spec was the side impact static load test, the interior cabinet latches, and the rear chevron requirement. Nothing too crazy. All manufacturers had to do the side static load test and if needed, already adjusted their production process to correct any issues. Anything else from that point was just already available options you could add anyway.

Best recommendation I could offer is- don't get held up with national specs. Focus more on the quality of the truck your looking at and how safe it is. The best builders in this industry greatly exceed any standard in the country or North America already.

I was at an event where Lee Burns (head of DOH EMS division) was speaking. She indicated NY will not be adopting either of those specs and will be staying with their part 800 spec for a while. They might be upgrading a few bits and pieces but nothing like adopting NFPA or Caas. The thing to remember about these specs is once they are legal, all ambulance builders will adjust to them.

For example, NY is one of only 7 or so states that do not recognize the GSA KKK spec. That spec has been widely adopted across the country since the 70s. But any ambulance sold in Ny is atleast a KKK level ambulance. It costs the manufacturer too much money to build to different specs. Better to build to the most stringent and anything beneath that level is covered.

The biggest impact of the NFPA spec was the side impact static load test, the interior cabinet latches, and the rear chevron requirement. Nothing too crazy. All manufacturers had to do the side static load test and if needed, already adjusted their production process to correct any issues. Anything else from that point was just already available options you could add anyway.

Best recommendation I could offer is- don't get held up with national specs. Focus more on the quality of the truck your looking at and how safe it is. The best builders in this industry greatly exceed any standard in the country or North America already.

That's the message I have been getting from BEMS, too. It's probably why we're not seeing any discussion on this thread.