Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD389RET

Kansas City Captain tells His story

5 posts in this topic

Just looking at the pictures....just....wow! I didn't listen to much of the podcast (because I get distracted too easily), but just looking at the pictures and see what a beating our gear can take. I'm just in awe. Obviously when someone's life is on the line we take extraordinary measures to make the save, and it's absolutely amazing what conditions that we, as firefighters, can survive solely based on what our PPE can withstand.

BFD389RET likes this

At what temperature does an SCBA mask begin to melt? That seems dangerous.

At what temperature does an SCBA mask begin to melt? That seems dangerous.

http://middletownfireacademy.com/mtfdta/_documents/Misc_Forms/NIST_SCBA_FacePiece_Study.pdf

I found this literature.

Melting temperatures can vary widely depending on the type of polycarbonate, between 215 °C (419 °F) and 338 °C (640 °F) [2-3].

That facepiece is a pre-NFPA 1981 2013 edition facepiece so its NFPA was only 200 degree 10 second flame exposure. The new standard is 500 degree for the 10 second with a higher positive pressure behind it. Glad to see MSA be ahead of their time and make a facepice that exceeded the standards. I base this knowing that the 1971 TOG requirements were higher than the SCBA standards. Furthermore for an 8+ year Lion coat looks like it faired very well plus him only receiving 2nd degree burns. Guys that do this for free use this as the example of why you at least deserve good equipment.

I'm not sure how I feel the helmet though. A Cairns NYer/Houston with exposed wire even in my mind should have been taken out of service, OR REPAIRED prior to the fire.

I like bourkes but that photo is why there are some people that do not support bourkes being exempt on the NFPA drip test. Had those bourkes hit the facepiece that would have been like hot knife threw butter?

Also I'm sorry but there is something up with this guy. Any guy that thinks bouncing around is a sign of pride is wrong. It means he is chasing fire around the city or he just does fit in.