Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nydude2473

Ossining HazMat Incident Sparked a Question Regarding Mutual Aid

2 posts in this topic

So after reading the incident updates and seeing who was at the call in Ossining, it was definitely a job well done. My question is about the specialty units in the County. It's not about who was there and who wasn't, it's more about would the resources be available to the communities. If the incident were far worse and needed more HazMat units to respond, would Yonkers FD roll out to the call if requested? It's not a question of paid vs. vollies, but would they send out a full crew? I know they were requested and responded to Hawthorne with the Foam Unit almost a year ago. But, if I'm not mistaken they roll out Rescue 1 when a HazMat call goes out. Last week in Scarsdale that was the case. I'm just wondering if they would move that much manpower and resources all the way up county and leave the city without a rescue. I'm just wondering how the mutual aid and resources would work out in this case.

I would assume it would be based on a case by case basis and the severity of the incident to which the IC would request mutual aid. Whenever yonkers responds to a call for mutual aid, they will recall manpower and staff spare units (truck, engine, battalion, etc.) to replace the ones on mutual aid. They will not leave the city without a rescue or squad. They could put Rescue 2 or squad 21 in service, if the incident is going to be long.

nydude2473 likes this