Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy

Westchester County Dispatchers

19 posts in this topic

Does anyone know about testing for the Westchester County Dispatchers? When is it? How often do they have it? Pay? etc....

60-Control and the Westchester County Police both hire from the Westchester County Human Resources Civil Service Exam "Communications Operator Trainee"

The test was last given in October 2004, and a list was established on January 21, 2005.

So far the Westchester County Police have utilized this list, but as of right now 60-Control has not canvassed the list.

The current list is good for up to 4 years, according to the Dept. of HR

As of September 2004, the pay scale listed on the county website was as follows:

$32,345 Starting Salary

$39,410 Maximum reached in four additional steps

The Exam Announcement for the most recent test can be found here:

http://www.westchestergov.com/csexam/exann...exams/68903.htm

PS- You have until July 8 to file for Stamford's "Public Safety Dispatcher" Exam. More info: http://www.ci.stamford.ct.us/HumanResource...cherAppPack.pdf

Great reply Steve! Thanks much!!

Under the new contract, Westchester County dispatchers do significantly better than the 2004 numbers given above. Once off probation (1 year), salary is 35,990/year, with 4 additional steps up to about 45,000/year. When you factor in shift differentials, certification stipends, and holiday pay a dispatcher is looking at around 50,000/year...then add in some overtime. Really not a bad job.

wow, a whole 50,000 dollars US currency....try to work there in the summer when there is no staff and half the time you can't go home when you want to...not worth it...oh yeah and then again Yonkers starts at about that and no one has been forced in 2 years...more staff-more calls-better pay...no brainer...oh and steady shifts...

DIDN'T KNOW YOU WORKED THERE IN THE SUMMER OSWEGO???

YOU SOUND A LITTLE BITTER....SOUNDS A LIKE A PERSON WHO CAN'T HANDLE A LITTLE PRESSURE......

Oswego....

I DO work there...and YES there are a lot of issues that need to be addressed, such as the ones you described above...but it's better than a lot of jobs out there in the private sector where you don't have any health insurance, you're constantly worried about being laid off, and you hardly get any paid time off. I've been laid off from jobs in the past, and had to pay $300/month out of pocket for health insurance for my family in other jobs...being short staffed sometimes and getting forced once in a while during the summer aren't that bad of a trade off compared to those things.

Not to hijack this but the 50K sounds pretty good compared to Putnam's 29.8 ... and me in my peak earning years and all 8-[

PC414

It takes about 5 years to get to that 50K, but sooner if you do significant amounts of overtime.

The pay may not be that great, but the OT and bennies definitely make up for it. It's a small price to pay.

There is always someone worse off than you are....Appreciate what you have.....

Westchester County is now accepting applications for the Communication Operator Trainee Exam to be given on October 15th.

The list will be used to fill positions in the Department of Emergency Services at 60-control, as well as at Westchester County Police.

aren't you funny art lets see can we said die-HARD-buff

Do you need to be a resident and if so how hard do they look at it?

Do you need to be a resident and if so how hard do they look at it?

click on the link a couple of posts up for detailed information

Westchester County residents can be given preference, but county residency is not a requirement of this job. I live in Dutchess County and had no problem getting on the job.

I think they need to update the qualifications on the Application! D) says basic firefighter, should it not say FF1?