Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CHIEFPHIL

Quint

35 posts in this topic

Stamford Fire & Rescue Dept(SFRD) had a number of car fires that were located in close proximity to structures(house, garage, etc) and decided to add a truck company to all car fires(except the highway, which gets 2 engines only). So car fires in the city get 1 engine and 1 truck. It seems reasonable, because you at least will have a second unit on scene or en route when you arrive to find the garage or house has been ignited.

To add to what MStrang1 :blink: added, many years ago the SFRD determined that truck companies would be sent on all vehicle fires (except those on I-95) to perform traffic control (very nice roadblock!!), rescue (all trucks have hydraulic rescue tools), and overhaul. We pretty much follow the FDNY protocol for vehicle fires. In addition if the incident is on I-95, two engine companies respond from two opposing directions so the second arriving engine performs the truck company functions. In either case 7 or 8 personnel respond to vehicle fires without entrapment.

If there is an exposure problem a full box assignment (3 engines, one truck, heavy rescue, and DC) is assigned. If there is a report of injuries and/or entrapment the Rescue and a medic unit are assigned as well.

Be Safe!!!

SFRD49

I think that in many Westchester Departments that a Truck (Ladder) responds in addition to an Engine for manpower. As for the road block thing, great idea. We run an Engine and Rescue, unless it is on the Highway where we add the Tanker.

We were trying out two Engines on the highway, one from each end, but I think it died out, sadly.

Bridgeport FD in CT runs Engine 16, on Madison ave, which is a 105' Pierce quint I do believe.

Bridgeport Engine 16 is a 75 ft. Pierce quint. I saw it in operation several times. It was purchased I beleive to fill the requirement of having an aerial device (not a ladder company) to cover the north end of the city since most of the ladders are central in the city.

It was sent to the Latex Foam Factory fire in Ansonia, CT (western New Haven County) back in 2001 and I believed it was used as an elevated master stream. (Bridgeport also sent a ladder, engine and command unit as well).

I always thought that for a small town fire department it was an ok idea.  I think every department should have an aerial apparatus. 

For larger towns and cities, I agree.  You are trying to do the work of an engine and a truck with the manpower of one company instead of two.  The money should be spent to hire the correct manpower to staff a properly staffed engine and truck.

Rochester, NY FD has been running a "Quint/Midi" concept for quite some time. The Quints are typically E-One 100-110' rear mount aerials w/ pumps and 300 gal. tanks and carry 4 FF's. The Midi's are small quick attack commercial pumpers carrying 2 FF's w/ a pump and a 300-400 gal. tank. Rochester has 9 "Quint/Midi" companies and they respond together on all alarms w/ the exception of EMS which the Midi handles by itself.

On the first alarm for a structure fire the city dispatches 3 companies...the first two are the two closest. That could be two engines or two quint/midi companies. The third is the next closest company or the closest "other unit" if one has not been designated; i.e. if two engines are the closest, a quint/midi is the third to garauntee a ladder truck will respond. From there, any apparatus in the city can be designated the "extra unit" which is usually utilized as a FAST/RIT.

When a Quint/Midi company is first due on the fire, they will usually operate as both and Engine and a Truck, with presidence set to victim removal (if needed) and fire attack. Usually the Quint pulls up to their position at the house and the Midi will lay supply line from the Quint to a plug if it's far away. The driver of the Midi handles water supply, and the rider is added to the fire attack efforts.

Two heavy rescues are dispatched on all working fires in the city on the initial alarm if there is a back-up call reporting a fire. Rescue 11 is always asigned truck company duties upon arrival, while the Protectives (2nd Heavy Rescue), which is a volunteer bunk-in duty crew handles salvage operations. They also can assist companies if needed. All members of the department can handle both engine or truck duties if needed, may not ride that particular truck though.

Right, wrong, or indifferent the concept seems to work and has caught on in the suburbs of Rochester. Several departments (ones that I know of are Henrietta, Laurelton, Penfield, Pittsford, Brighton (if the engine is not available), Avon, and East Avon)in the area run a Quint as a first due piece on structural incidents. Henrietta and East Avon run their Quints first due on most all incidents. Henrietta also runs a midi-engine with the Quint that takes the smaller calls such as EMS. There are only a handful of traditional ladders left in the area. Most all departments run Quints as their ladders even if they dont respond first due, for versatility.

Here is a link for the dispatch and photos of a normal response to a working house fire in Rochester.

Here are phtos of one of RFD's newer Midi's.

Here is a photo of the area's newest Quint, East Avon's. 2005 Pierce Quantum 1500/470/30 75 ft. Aluminum stick. Preconnected Holmatro tools in the front bumper. Went in service about a month ago.

Usually, any working fire or MVAPT in the area will be updated at www.mfcw.com, the Monroe County Fire Wire.