Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest stephentyler20

Working at Empress?

6 posts in this topic

Moving back to the Westchester Co region as a paramedic in the near future, I am considering possible places of employment. In particular, I'm looking for some information on Empress Ambulance, and what it's like working with them. Does anyone have any opinions either way regarding employment at this company? In particular, I'm coming off working as a level 3 in upstate new york for a company that does both 911 and transfers, but more 911 than the latter. I've gotten some good experience, and have upgraded to level 4, and as such I would like to continue my 911 experience. i don't mind doing transfers, but as an employee at Empress would I be susceptible to doing nothing but? I'm still investigating my options, but this forum seems to have a lot of insight into these kinds of issues, so I appreciate any responses. Also, as an aside, I did spend a summer at Metro Care a few years ago when I was a basic doing the whole BLS transport thing (i.e. been there done that!).

Also, as an afterthought, how does paramedic employment at the volunteer organizations go in Westchester? In particular, I live very close to Port Chester-Rye-Rye Brook EMS' squad, and have been living in that particular area my whole life (town of Harrison, actually), which seems to me would make it the ideal type of environment. Is hiring in such places generally pretty fluid (assuming, of course, that I'm competent), or is it a bit slow? Just trying to gain a perspective on the matter... thanks!

it's not as bad as some make it out to be......

you will learn alot, Yonkers, Mt Vernon & The Pelhams keep everyone busy. You will get the occasional ALS transfer (very rare)

as far as systems go who wouldnt wanna work in Yonkers,but it is still a commercial,next best is Port chester as far as the system goes it is great i worked there about 7 yrs and it was great everything from homeless ,edp's stabbings and great medical jobs the bad part is that United hospital is gone they were the best medical control you could ask for and they loved ems we were really a family i even passed out trays and would help change beds. And when you brought a patient you didnt have to stop patient care once ur pcr was signed,, sorry for the commercial for united hospital, What was your question??........lol

If you want to stay away from transports the way to go is transcare and westchester ems fly cars. You only ride calls that you deem necessary and unless you are on an ALS transport bus you might do one transport in a great while. I don't know much about Empress ALS from what I understand they only have supervisor fly cars and ALS buses(correct me if I'm wrong).

Empress has a flycar in the Pelhams as well as a dual medic flycar in Yorktown.