Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikerabbit

Cellular 911 Content

5 posts in this topic

This question is for any 60 control or NYSP dispatchers.

Just curious cellular 911 calls, how do they come in to dispatch? When ever a local agency gets a notification from 60 or NYSP it is very vague in regards to location and there is never any callback information.

Example on numerous ocasions deprtments are dispatched to an "unknown medical" condition at the "shell service station" off of such and such road. The problem is that there may be 5 different shell stations on the road in question and an aditional 5-10 in the adjacent jurisdictions that have the same roadway. Is their anyway to get more info from the caller, or are they just very choppy cell calls?

Does any information come up on the 911 screen similiar to traditional landline 911 calls?

Im not with 60 control or NYSP dispatchers so my info may be incorrect but from what I understand, when you call 911 on a cell phone, you are actualy calling the Cell companys answering service who taked down some basic info (Location, type of emergancy, town, ect...) then transfers you over to the 'proper' dispatch center who can realy dispatch the units. From personal experience with calling 911 on my cell, it sucks. I have had to be transfered to 3 different agencys before a dispatch happened because the cell company did not send me to the proper dispatch center in the first place. After being transfered so many times, I doubt that any caller ID info would show up for my phone. Since the person answering you cell 911 call is no where near where your calling they have no idea where you are talking about and MAY send you to a dispatch center in the wrong county or state. I know that NYC and possiably NY State were talking about mandating that all cell providers have a 'true' E911 system in place for just this reason. Not sure what ever came about from it. Hope this helps answer your question.

I believe 911 cell calls go to the NYS Police. At one time it was in Middletown, NY but now I believe it's the new State Police Facility in Hawthorne.

From past experience, if you know the municpality you're in when you call, they can transfer you to them.

If you're unsure, they will attempt to figure out where you are and send the appropriate responce.

Good question. I think I can shed some light on the subject.

If you call 911 from a cell phone in our area, I believe the calls go to the TMC in Hawthorne, where the State Police dispatchers begin the information processing. For most fire and EMS calls, they will roll the call over to 60 Control. The dispatchers at 60 Control will then gather more information (if available) from the caller and dispatch the appropriate resources.

One thing to keep in mind - try to know where you are at all times. You never know when you may need help. It also should be noted that having a traditional phone in your home is a (IMHO) preferred way to call for help. You don't have to worry about losing cell service, and if you dial 911 from home your address will pop-up on the 911 screen at your dispatch center.

Hope this helps.

so kids never prank a 911 dispacher because he does KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE lol