Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest x2371

Detroit Firefighter Dies In the Line of Duty

2 posts in this topic

Detroit Firefighter Dies In the Line of Duty

BEN WEINSTEIN

Firehouse.Com News

A 21-year veteran of the Detroit Fire Department died of a heart attack while on duty Sunday.

Sgt. Rodney N. English, 48, collapsed while doing administrative work at Detroit’s Engine 1 station house, 111 W. Montcalm St.

A department member revived English before emergency crews arrived to transport him to an area hospital, according to IAFF Local 344. English died en route to the hospital.

"He was a very good firefighter, excellent person," Detroit Fire Department Lt. Melvin White said. White, who had worked with English for 15 years, said the death came as a surprise because English kept in good shape and didn’t smoke or drink alcohol. A union representative said English had regular physical examinations and showed no indications of heart problems.

"He was always happy, never had anything bad to say about anybody," White said, adding that English was smart, fun and giving.

When off duty, English was active in his church and community. He was a regular at Rosedale Park Baptist Church, and he ran a golf program for children.

"He was my hero," Rosedale Park Baptist Church deacon Roy Harlin said. "I always considered him the soldier I’d want to go into war with."

English is survived by his wife and three children, ages 10, 16 and 18.

Funeral Arrangements:The visitation will be held on Thursday, August 18, 2005 from 12 noon to 7:00 p.m. at the Rosedale Park Baptist Church, 14161 Vaughan Street, Detroit, Michigan 48223, (313) 538-1180. The funeral will be held on Friday, August 19, 2005 at 11:00 a.m. at the Perfecting Church, 7616 East Nevada Street, Detroit, Michigan 48234, (313) 365-3787. Interment will follow at the Elmwood Cemetery, Detroit, Michigan.

Detroit Fire Department

IAFF Local 344 (313) 962-7546

May he now rest in peace My pray's to the family and fellow firefighters