Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mllax14

Need Information for a Research Paper

5 posts in this topic

I'm doing a research paper on the number of firefighters killed every year that were involved in traffic accidents while en route to an emergency with apparatus. My teacher said that I need at least 1 primary source (interview, autobiography) and 4 hard sources (one must be a book) i got the most of my info online, but I can't find anything else concerning my topic. Can anybody help with finding information.

Go to FEMA Publications Page and order FA-272, Emergency Vehicle Safety Initiative. This publication has some information on your topic. The cost is free and you will should receive it within 3-4 days. Best of luck with your paper.

have u looked at OSHA,or NIOSH yet, you should get some good info from them

http://www.usfa.fema.gov/fatalities/ This will give you numbers and a quick synopsis of what happened.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/firehome.html These are the detailed reports of investigations which also lists recommendations that niosh puts out to avoid similiar incidents in the future. Don't get stuck on the irony of how they often are the same for each motor vehicle incident and it still is the 2nd leading cause of death every year for firefighters for over 10 years. You will have look around because it breaks the fatality investigations by date, so if you search through FEMA's fatality notices and you find what you want note the date and what state they are in to get to your investigation report. Just note that they do not always release every investigation. Sometimes its best not to let everyone know how screwed up some things are that leads to us being killed.

If you are local stop by the DES office and explain what it is you are doing and if you can have a copy of the OFPC EVOC manual they also have some cases in there.

If I can give you one word of advice on writing this paper, be careful of how broad you make it, you might want to narrow it down to specific topic within firefighter fatalities and vehicle incidents, like that the majority of them if not nearly everyone you will find, the victim was unrestrained. Many of them are rollovers, involving speed or human error. If you need anything else please feel free to private message me.

Finding books with up to date information can prove to be difficult. You can also contact Diana Robinson at the NYS Academy of Fire Science in Montour Falls. She runs the library there and may be able to steer you in the right direction or be able to send you a book you might be interested in. I don't know what type of school your doing your research paper for but if its college particulary Westchester you have a database where you use keywords to find magazine articles and books that have information you need for papers and some even take care of the references for it so you have it correctly at the end of your paper.