Followers 0
Guest x2371

Detroit Man Wakes After EMS Declares Him Dead

9 posts in this topic

Detroit Man Wakes After EMS Declares Him Dead

Updated: 10-21-2005 10:26:20 AM

E-MAIL THIS STORY PRINT THIS STORY

Story by clickondetroit.com

A Detroit man woke after being declared dead at about noon on Wednesday, Local 4 reported.

Louis Golson, 51, was pronounced dead by EMS crews that responded to the home on the 13000 block of Mapleridge on Detroit's east side, where he lives with his sister, Lisa McCloud, and her husband.

McCloud's husband went downstairs to Golson's basement bedroom to check on him and found that he wasn't moving and was unresponsive.

A short time after EMS arrived at the home, they came upstairs to tell the family that Golson was dead. The crew apparently claimed the 116 pound man had died in his bed overnight and rigormortis had begun to set in.

"They told me to call the doctor, to sign the death certificate (and) they will not have to take him to the morgue, that the funeral home can come and get him," said Golson's niece, Kimberly Golson.

McCloud said she started notifying family members that he had passed while EMS waited at the scene for police.

At about 2 p.m., when Golson's other sister, Deborah Golson, went downstairs to check on his body, he opened his eyes and moved his arms, the station reported.

Police responding to the scene also confirmed that the 51-year-old was not dead.

"When the police came, the police took the light, flashed the light into his eyes and the police realized he was alive," McCloud said.

Golson was rushed to St. John Hospital, where doctors determined that the diabetic had suffered a sugar attack.

He was treated and is recuperating in a hospital bed, the station reported.

Deborah Golson told Local 4 that she believes the incident is part miracle and part mistake.

A captain with the Detroit EMS squad said the case is under investigation and a report was being prepared to hand over to the chief's desk to determine if the EMS workers will face any punishment.

WHY NOT CHECK FOR A PULSE AND PULSE and try some CPR

I am never going to detroit if that is the EMS Crew out their on the fields i could be walking down the road and they would say that i am dead that is scary EMS work their

Gotta work it unless you have obvious death...ie no head. Short of that, the suit you would face in westchester if some yppie later actually died due to lack of treatment. You should just hand over your checking account, wallet, and house keys right there.

1. I am not going to Detroit...ever. 2 I love the "sugar attack" part

maybe he was "seizing" and the emts mistaked it for rigor mortis? When i had my "seizure" (doctors still dont know what it was), my entire body went tight and i was out cold. My dad said that mu muscles were so stiff that they couldnt even move my arms or legs at all. Maybe thats what the EMT's experienced? I dunno, just trying to justify the misdiagnosis.

Being a diabetic...there is no excuse for any EMT or Medic to declare me dead if im having a sugar low....just totally unexceptable...thats why im never going there ever

Brothers, while I agree that a pulse should have been checked and the EMT's do the ABC's so to speak, I do know of a situation that may have been like the one they had.

This summer, I had the opportunity to meet a Canadian RCMP officer. During our converstaion, she asked me about the craziest call i've ever been on, so naturally I asked her the same.

She told me she was recently promoted to the Identification section of her unit. They received a call for an 80 year old woman that hadn't been seen in days. Upon entry to the apartment the smell was obvious. Once they came across the woman, laying on the floor, there was obvious signs of lividity.

So they started to process the scene, and she was photographing the body, she heard a slight gurgling noise, and realized the woman was STILL BREATHING!!!!

The lady was then rushed to the hospital, were eventually she ended up passing away a couple days later. That being said, I can see where they made the mistake, and if I didn't hear a story about the same issue this summer I probably would have criticized myself.