Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BMFD409

FDNY Ridealongs

10 posts in this topic

i know there are fdny guys on the site and i was wondering if any one could help me setup a ridealong or at least point me in the right direction. email me at irishkiltman@gmahttp://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/BMFD/

Yahoo! Groups : BMFDil.com or just pm me. email is faster

Ride alongs are VERBOTEN without written consent from the Fire Department HQ. I suggest you start there.

I was actually given my papers for the ride-along by captain from fdny i knew. If you know any officers, they can probably get you the papers.

I thought ride alongs were not permitted since 9-11.

I think it was before then. And, after the L-120 rollover this past summer, there will probably be more scrutiny.

thanx for all the help im gonna contact my godfathers brother i think hes like battalion cheif or something up there in the bronx.

Ride alongs by non-members with potential exposure to EMS assignments may be barred by HIPAA regulations. Appears training & intern arrangements may be OK.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Riders barred on calls for EMS

By Matthew Cella

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Published October 30, 2005

The federal government, citing privacy concerns for patients, has informed the District that it can no longer operate a ride-along program that allows the public to observe medics at work on fire engines and ambulances.

The decision, the first of its kind, will likely have far-reaching consequences for municipal fire departments that allow journalists and elected officials, as well as the public, to oversee a critical taxpayer function.

The directive was issued Oct. 11 from the Office of Civil Rights Region 3, a division of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

It asks the District to either scrap its ride-along program within 30 days or submit plans to alter the existing program. However, the language of the letter leaves little room for creating a program in compliance with privacy laws.

According to the letter, "disclosures of protected health information to persons other than health care providers, as would occur in the context of a ride-along program, would require an authorization of the individual or their personal representative."

The letter also states: "The fact that [the D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department] has no way of knowing in advance which individuals will be treated or transported effectively precludes obtaining prior authorization of disclosure."

An official with HHS could not discuss whether the letter was meant to set a national precedent, but said it was part of an investigation into whether the District violated the provisions of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.

The official said there are several exceptions to the act that allow patients' information to be disclosed without their consent, including oversight by a public health agency, for victims of domestic violence and disclosures to the courts.

He also said the ban did not apply to interns or trainees in the health care profession, but that the privacy rule contains no exceptions for elected officials or the public at large in an oversight capacity.

The official said that instead of issuing a mandate, the process of prohibiting ride-alongs is "complaint-driven" and that complaints can be filed by anyone, not just a patient.

The International Association of Fire Chiefs said it was not aware of other jurisdictions in which ride-alongs had been prohibited.

The decision stems from a complaint filed with the Office of Civil Rights about apparent privacy violations in a June 18 article in the Washington City Paper. The article had vignettes from a reporter's ride-along with the crew of Engine 10 in Northeast as they responded to a medical calls and included the names and medical conditions of several patients. Eric Wemple, editor of the City Paper, did not return a call seeking comment.

Fire department spokesman Alan Etter said the reporter got the names directly from the patients and that firefighters violated no privacy rules. He said the fire department's understanding of the letter is that it is in violation for allowing the reporter to have access.

Fire Chief Adrian H. Thompson said he is still analyzing the directive, but the program has recently been revamped and reconstituted based on the act's requirements.

so are ride alongs allowed?

that would be awesome

i know there are fdny guys on the site and i was wondering if any one could help me setup a ridealong or at least point me in the right direction. email me at irishkiltman@gmahttp://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/BMFD/

Yahoo! Groups : BMFDil.com or just pm me. email is faster

If you are looking to ride along, the best thing is to know somebody in the company you want to ride along with. If you are just looking to ride along with "a busy company", and you don't know anyone in that house, then it will be pretty tough to get in. Ride alongs are usually "white clouds" anyway. When there is a ride along on board, then that company is almost assured of not doing a thing for as long as the ride along is there. Good luck.

If you are looking to ride along, the best thing is to know somebody in the company you want to ride along with.  If you are just looking to ride along with "a busy company", and you don't know anyone in that house, then it will be pretty tough to get in.  Ride alongs are usually "white clouds" anyway.  When there is a ride along on board, then that company is almost assured of not doing a thing for as long as the ride along is there.  Good luck.

I can also attest to that. I rode with a well known Harlem Truck company for a number of years till I had a falling out with the former Captain. They rarely turned a wheel when I rode. I disappear for a while to dispatch, and they're catching work left and right. I think I'm the "white cloud" so to speak.