Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest DFFD227

Yonkers Tone Alerts

5 posts in this topic

I have a question that has been bugging me for a while. The Yonkers Tones are like Dial Tones...But how does an engine/ladder/rescue company know if they are being dispatched? I imagine that there is some kind of alert system or bell/buzzer that goes off when the tone is set? Anyone know for sure? Thanks.

THE TONES ARE CALLED DTMF. THEY WORK SIMILAR TO STANDARD TONES. THEY OPEN UP HOUSE ALERTS.

Is there any benefit to doing it like that, rather than "pager" tones like some career departments, like New Rochelle and Greenville have.

Also, How does FDNY do it. I know they have MDT and can also get their runs over the air when in the apparatus, But how does the dispatcher notify units of a response when in qtrs?

FDNY gets their runs through the "starfire" system. The system includes a teleprinter and "voice alarm system". House Watch must still acknowledge the alarm.

Each house has their own tone, which sets off the "trailer"(series of Beeps) Basically it is a dial tone corresponding to the house #. For instance, Sta-1's tone is "0-1" on the phone, Sta-12 is "1-2"- and so forth. So an assignment for E-306,L-71,R-1,B-1 would get : 0-6 (for 306) 0-1 (71/R1) & 0-3 (B1).