Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

YPD on Central Ave

12 posts in this topic

Hey Everybody

I often see a number of Yonkers PD cars parked along the ramp from the Sprain onto Central Ave and they all tag team car stops there.

What are they stopping people for? OT detail for drunks or VTL?

Any help is appreciated.

Looks like Motorcycle squad guys and girls.....they use Ch 2 or 3 for this detail?

Thanks in advance

That's a speed detail for Central Ave.

There are constantly officers on the Tuckahoe Rd overpass with radar guns. This too is part of the same operation. Its a big speeding area and extra enforcement of the speed limit will only help to save lives. As it is, the area of Central Ave and Arlington St. is a pretty dangerous one.

Another spot to look out for is the Cross County exit ramp at the Thruway over by the old Wendys'. Yours truly got nailed there a while back.

While I agree that speeding down Central Ave. in traffic is highly dangerous, I also feel that alot of it would be avoided if local government would provide some sort of venue for street racing. Most of the big speed traps are on nights when local "car clubs" hang out. Or let an organized group block traffic at 2am once a month of something with all the proper insurance, EMS on standby,... Make it legit.

Let's think about this for a minute....Government should be involved in promoting street drag racing ? Is that what you mean ?

Local government should provide a venue for street racing ?!

Your kidding right?

I think you need to consider the liability an event such as this would open up the municipality for.

You also need to consider the safety of not only the drivers, but the community in general. What if they lose control and hit another car, building, pedestrian, etc..

Bottom line, street racing KILLS people, damages property, and creates traffic issues.

Theres a reason why street racing is ILLEGAL, and emscomm80 summed it up pretty well. If it werent illegal, then there wouldnt be any speed traps ever cause you could almost always use it as an excuse.

Listen all I'm sayin is they go out there and do it anyway with no concern. The goverment shouldn't be the one running it (I typed without thinking for a minute), but if a private organization was to properly get permits and arrange for all the saftey needs then let them race. Now Central Ave is not the best place to do such a thing, but I'm sure a location could be agreed upon somewhere. And I'm sure that if they had somewhere to go (that's not a state away), then it would cut back on the people doing it illegally. I'm more worried about the guy flying up the taconic in a suv doing 90 in and out of traffic than I am about an organized event. My whole point is ORGANIZED, not with pedestrians, traffic and no saftey devices. Make some rules, make it safe, make it legit.

If you want to race take it to a track, none of this "let them race on the street in an organized fashion".....It kills like said before, Bottom Line....If you Want to race Take it to a Track. :rolleyes:

That would be fine but anytime one is discussed it is shot down. And once again it is not going to stop just cause someone gets killed but if there is anyway to make it safer (even just a little)....

Listen all I'm sayin is they go out there and do it anyway with no concern.  The goverment shouldn't be the one running it (I typed without thinking for a minute), but if a private organization was to properly get permits and arrange for all the saftey needs then let them race.  Now Central Ave is not the best place to do such a thing, but I'm sure a location could be agreed upon somewhere.  And I'm sure that if they had somewhere to go (that's not a state away), then it would cut back on the people doing it illegally.  I'm more worried about the guy flying up the taconic in a suv doing 90 in and out of traffic than I am about an organized event.  My whole point is ORGANIZED, not with pedestrians, traffic and no saftey devices.  Make some rules, make it safe, make it legit.

Like the NHRA and Drag Racing.