Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Porsha911gt3

Chilli Fire Department Sued

3 posts in this topic

"Chili firefighter recruit suing department

12/2/05

Chili firefighter

A Chili firefighter recruit may file suite the department he someday hopes to be a member of. His complaint stems from an incident at the fire hall last July that left him seriously injured. Was it hazing? Initiation? Or horseplay, as the fire chief contends?

For 22-year-old Scott Cleere, what happened at company number two was no laughing matter. Cleere says he didn't have any warning. The four other firefighters just grabbed him in the truck bay and strapped him down on an ambulance type backboard. “And then my hands were taped to me chest. I broke the tape free at which point they switched and used zip ties to tie my arms together. And pinned me down. And the backboard extends about six to eight inches beyond a person's head and a person's feet. They rolled me over and carried me upside down out of the building and when they got out front leaned me up against the front of the building and shut the door.”

It wasn't long before Cleere fell forward face first into the concrete. He was unable to stop himself and broke three cheekbones and his front teeth. He also suffered a concussion and still has memory lapses. He identified the others only as experienced firefighters. “These were the four individuals in the department that were supposed to be there to talk me under their wing, and teach me as a new recruit. And, these were individuals that I got along with great. And this came out of absolutely nowhere, and I was utterly surprised that these people would do this to me.

Chili Fire Chief Chris Fish would not answer questions on camera. In a statement he says: “Five off-duty members (while at one of our fire stations) engaged in a level of innocent horseplay which regrettably led to one member sustaining injuries that required medical treatment. The Chili Fire Department is deeply saddened that this accident occurred, and (want to stress that) the actions of these five individuals do not reflect the integrity and commitment of the 180 other active members of the Chili Fire Department."

“I feel that this was an incident that should not have happened. It should not even have happened if nobody got hurt. Horseplay is a pillow fight. Horseplay is people goofing around. Horseplay doesn't involve concussions and long-term injuries. Horseplay doesn't involve broken bones,” said Cleere.

Scott Cleere has been out of work for four months and medical bills are mounting.

The Town of Chili contracts with the fire district and supervisor Tracy Logel says she has asked for a copy of the department’s investigation. She says this was something that should not have happened in the town."

http://www.rnews.com/Story_2004.cfm?ID=325...s_story_type=18

http://www.10nbc.com/index.asp?template=item&story_id=16971

http://www.mcfw.com/main/

To be left alone tied up and then fall on your face. While funny as hell, entirely too f-ed up. I am the first to b**** about voer zeleous lawsuits, but this guy deserves what ever he can get out of court.

:):(:(:(:(:(:( WAY TO GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats where i wanna join. Im not saying i never horse around at work but i never left a guy strapped down in the vertical postion. Way to go A-holes!