Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FDNY FF Vincent Albanese

2 posts in this topic

New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com

Firefighter on way to 38-year career honored at parade

Monday, December 19th, 2005

Bronx Firefighter Vincent Albanese has been badly burned, knocked unconscious, had bones broken - and was sickened by inhaling the dust while digging at Ground Zero.

But nothing has stopped the 59-year-old smoke-eater from working at Belmont's Ladder 38 - his second home for 36 years. His goal is to put in 38 years at 38.

"It's just that no one's ever done that before in 38 Truck," he said.

For his commitment to the neighborhood, Albanese was honored Saturday in an annual parade that began after 9/11 to honor Bronx cops, firefighters, EMS workers and military personnel.

"Most of the guys on the job, the kids coming in now, were not even born when I came on the job," said Albanese, a married father of two from Huntington Station, L.I. "I'm working with sons and grandsons."

The parade is a highlight of a two-week holiday street fair sponsored by the Mount Carmel Pharmacy on E. 187th St.

Recommended by his supervisor, Albanese will receive a citation for his service, as will Deputy Inspector Barry Buzzetti and Officer Melanie Kujawinski of the 48th Precinct.

"To have someone in the same neighborhood for that long is quite unique and special," said Armand Paganelli, 44, who co-owns the pharmacy with his brothers Roger and Michael.

Joining the FDNY in 1969, Albanese saw fires raging across the borough in the turbulent 1970s, when his company twice led the city with 8,000 emergency runs a year, compared with its current average of 2,500.

Albanese, whose firehouse nickname is Grampa, is the fourth most senior firefighter in FDNY. He is a role model to firefighters less than half his age because he shares his experience every chance he gets and shows them he hasn't lost a step.

For two decades, he's been driving the ladder truck to emergencies, then following his firefighters inside - doing it with the same gusto the rookies have. He runs the annual holiday party, settles firehouse squabbles and watches over the finances and maintenance of the truck.

"He amazes me that he still refuses to give up a tool," said his supervisor, Lt. Joseph Huber, 44. "He's better now at 59 years old than a lot of the guys who are 25. They just don't have the knowledge."

Albanese spent more than a month sifting through rubble after 9/11, and was out sick for seven months with breathing problems.

But he battled back to full duty and plans to retire after his 60th birthday next year, five years short of the FDNY's maximum age for a firefighter.

"They're like family, my second family. How could you leave them?" he said. "But like everybody's life, there has come a time because you're getting too old."

Edited by hoss49

what a beast this guy is...lol my dad tells me all the time that he doesnt have that much longer to fight fires....hes in his mid 40s...i guess i should make him read this!