Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

Let's Show Some Respect!

9 posts in this topic

I felt to need to voice my opinion on a few issues of concern.

EMTBravo was created just over two years ago. I remember being online

chatting with Seth (IM) about his vision of a Westchester FIRE / EMS website.

What once started out with 20 members covering Westchester quickly

grew to 200, then 2000, now well over 3,000 and growing daily. We cover topics

all over the country. Police, Fire, EMS, and numerous other areas of interest.

Members of this site are from all over the country and from all walks of life.

Police Officers, Volunteer Firefighters, Career Firefighters, EMTs, CFRs, Paramedics, RNs, News Reporters, and sometimes the General Public who are just browsing the internet and start reading.

Why do we bash each other? Why do we make posts that will offend someone?

It's been done. Topics and comments have been deleted. I respect everyone's comments and point of view that is what this site is all about but sometimes we get carried away. Why is the comments of training and volunteer vs. career come up so often? We all tie our shoes the same, we all die the same. Right? When we have a LODD we all gather and pay respects and try to put the BS a side. So why not do this on OUR site EMTBravo all the time?

This site has amazing potential but sometimes a few do some really stupid things.

"Poor Judgement" Everyone want's to Monday morning quarterback FD, VAC, or PD incidents posted or chime in with some pointless comment. What does this accomplish?

Do you really need to have the last word? We are all professionals lets act that way, lets represent ourselves and our departments that way.

I hope in 2006 we can really think before we type. You know who you are.

To ALL fellow EMTBravo members.. Good Luck, Be Safe, God Bless, and

Have a Happy New Year!!

Enough said!

Rob

I aggree with a lot of what you are saying RWC but I think that this IS the place where we can do thoses things --witih respect to all involved-- and get other ideas from people.

with respect to the Vol vs career issue as long as the volunteeer service (and believe me I know its not the fault of any one on here but) continues to water down the training for their members--- there will be a difference and it should be addressed each and every time so that the vols in here know-- it was their organization in albany that watered down firefighter 1 and firefighter 2

FASNY was at the core of the issue- I can t agree more we tie our shoes the same way= we bleed the same color blood. why is our training different.

I can see that many of the volunteer service are way above the traing levels---- thats a great thing. many use the training center again great thing but try and get more trainign written into the State theres a wall.

thats just my though

I agree with a bunch of what you say excpet for the Monday Morning Quarterbacking (mmq). The way I look at it, if someone snaps a photo of me doing something wrong, and I am unaware of it, i want to know about it, learn about it, correct it, and never let it happen again, to anyone!

I dont know why people would get offended at someone pointing out they were doing something wrong. Learn from your mistakes and correct them. I dont see it as a personal bash on any one person, department or municipality, I view it as an excellent learning tool. In Firefighter I, we viewed numerous videos of bad things happening, i.e. a live fire drill where the house literally exploded, among other videos as well. By what people are saying about mmq, does this mean we should no longer talk about the incidents where Departments screwed up?!

Sorry if i struck a nerve on that last statement, but if you have a problem with you or your deparment being shown a problem and ways to fix it, it means that your ego is way to big for you to be anywhere near the fire department. Everything we do is a learning process. Admit that, "I messed up and I'm going to fix it." That right there takes courage...isn't that something we're supposed to have anyways?

Edited by EMSJunkie712

If you have a problem with you or your deparment being shown a problem and ways to fix it, it means that your ego is way to big for you to be anywhere near the fire department. Everything we do is a learning process. Admit that, "I messed up and I'm going to fix it." That right there takes courage...isn't that something we're supposed to have anyways?

EMS, For the record my post has absolutely nothing to do with me or my department. I am 100% for training.

Edited by RWC130

Rob,

Another good post. But as we've discussed you know I don't agree with discussing problems that arise in pictures and such. Such discussion I do not see as pointless but something more that is needed. The time of taboo tongue in cheek discussion of mistakes and things that are stupid needs to stop. It may just stop someone from doing something that was just dumb to becoming stupid and getting killed. The prime example of how this could be done effectively is the recent pic that was posted of the firefighter in a fireball when he opened a door. Not one bash, only constructive discussion of how to prevent that and to stay sharp and focused.

Many people have put alot of work into creating and excellent and very important tool for us to use, for that I thank everyone involved. But as others have pointed out there isone area we are lacking. Constructive critiquing of incidents. If we can't disscus our mistakes then we will never learn from them and will be doomed to repeat them.

Thanks RWC for your expressing your views. And for the most part, I agree.

There are some people that strongly feel that we should allow "critiquing" of incidents on this site. I'm not one of them. Why? Because, #1, how can you "critique" something without being familiar with the department, its manpower and equipment, district, and operating procedures...or without and accurate, firsthand account of the incident?? #2, these "critiques" turn into bashfests, which I do not want occuring on this forum.

And sadly, there's some people who just like to cowardly hide behind a screen name and cause trouble just to cause trouble or stir the pot....and we always agressively work to weed out those people, as they accomplish nothing on this site.

There's ways to discuss firefighting and EMS on this site without picking on a specific agency or person. I don't maintain this site as a public forum to critique departments. I maintain this forum as a positive place to share information, ideas, and views. There's a lot more that goes into running this forum then the average eye sees.

I agree with RWC's viewpoint.....members of this site need to show respect for one another...theres no need for some of the behavior that occurs on here. There's plenty of people to learn from on this site, and plenty of people to be educated......if we just bicker, then what does that accomplish?

People should be freely allowed to express themselves and that should never should be infringed on. I have much respect for all firefighters volunteer or paid these are not your average people, they risk their lives to save other people, however I need to know what EMT Bravo is refering to as Monday morning quarterback because that does not make any sense to me. I agree with treating members in this forum with respect because they deserve it.

EMTBravo, I do agree with you that bickering get us no where, although pointing out something someone may not have noticed that could have gotten a fellow firefighter killed or seriouly injured is something that should be freely talked about.

As you might have seen on my post before I deleted it, I am not trying to hide behind my monitor. My name is Alex Vergo, and you can see from my location what departments I am in...two actually.

I have much respect for you for running this site and maintaining it on a daily basis, it is something that I could never do, and much respect is given from me to you for that.

Secondly, I would like people to know that I would never intentionally humiliate, bash, dishonor, or look down upon another department or individual, nor would I want the same done for me or my department. However critical items that are learned in FF 1 are not being followed. These have nothing to do with how each department operates. Items such as packing up for each and every call, wearing full PPE for each and every call are being ignored and that has me frightened. I would hate to wake up tomorrow morning, check EMTBravo.com, and find out that someone from some department close to mine has passed away over the night because his SCBA was caught up on something in a fire because his waist straps were undone. That would break my heart to hear that news.

I also dont see how this board differes from anything we learn in the classroom, textbook or video wise, video's in particular. I remember watching a video about a firefighter in Phenox, AZ I believe, who was burned over 70% of his body because he went in a training burn with nothing but his SCBA and nomex pants on and the burn building flashed on him. He freely talked about what happened and how he has changed his ways, and how his department has also changed their ways on PPE and other protocols.

My point is, we should not be defencive when it comes to seting standard and makeing people follow them. They are there for a reason, and it kills me when I hear that a brother firefighter was injured or killed on the job because he wasnt geared up properly. Haveing each department being assertive and offencive when it comes to standards and guidelines would make a world of a difference to the lives and safety of everyone involved at the fire scene.

Again, I never have the intent of personally bashing / dishonoring a member or fire department or EMS agency, I feel that would be disgusting on my part, and show my department in bad taste. I am sorry if I have offended anyone when I have posted before as well.

Alex Vergo

Edited by EMSJunkie712