Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Minitor V Charger Amp Related Battery/Pager Fails

4 posts in this topic

Motorola has issued a Service & Repair Notes on the Minitor V Charger Amplifier. Please see information below:

SYSTEMS AFFECTED: Minitor V pagers and batteries when using a Charger Amp.

MODELS & OPTIONS AFFECTED: All Minitor V pagers and batteries when using a Charger Amplifier

SYMPTOM: Battery will not charge or battery / pager appear to be dead after charging in a charger amplifier

CAUSE: Is under investigation by Motorola Paging Engineering Team

Workaround: The paging products group recommends the immediate discontinued use of the charger amplifier.

1) If any of your customers are using a charger amplifier and are experiencing the symptoms listed above and do not already have a standard charger for the pagers, please contact Motorola TSO at 800-927-2744 prompts 3–4-1 and request a standard charger and battery, if needed.

2) If the customer already has a standard chargers and the battery is defective, please contact Motorola Parts Department at 800-422-4210 to obtain a warranty battery replacement.

3) If the pager is defective, please return to your regional Motorola Service Center for repair.

**Note 1 – if it can not be determined if the battery or pager are defective, please contact your local dealer or return both to the Radio Support Center.

**Note 2 – At this time, please do not return any of the charger amplifiers to the Radio Support Center or Parts Dept. Once the final resolution is ready to be implemented, this bulletin will be up issued with instructions on how to get the charger amplifier repaired.

More to follow as it becomes available.

I just recently received a Minitor V and I have to say that I honestly hate the damn thing.

There's no reason why the Minitor V's charger needs to be an amplifier and there certainly isn't a reason why it has to be as thick as it is, either. (It's about double the thickness of a IV.) The thickness, to me, really isn't as much of an issue as the fact that it seems to have been rushed to production. My pager will open for no reason and will even go off for another town's tones, too. Apparently, that's not as much of an isolated incident as I thought it was since I've seen various threads on the board describing that very same glitch.

Ever since the II, all of the Motorola pagers have gone way downhill. I think the II was the best one I had, and the IV was all right, but not as good. I never had the III, but I heard that that one was just plain garbage. From what I've experienced with the V over the last 2 weeks, I think the V is just a newer version of the III...

Saying this from experience... i've gotten countless amounts of pagers from various vendors from 3's to 5's. I couldn't believe how hasty these tech's (or motorola factory direct) are when programing a pager for various departments. something to look for - make sure the pager is working in the right tone system that the true tones of the department and 60 have. i've adjusted this before and it helps. my 5 works as well as my old II in my opinion.

Edited by StrobeGuRu

I really can't complain too much about the Minitor V, I haven't really had any problems with it. As far as size and thickness is concerned, I had a Minitor II before it so thiers not much of a difference.