Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rfdu39

Queens Tanker fire

12 posts in this topic

Truck 4 Sat. 4 is in Queens. Sat.6 is the maxi water unit it is in Brookyln. And Engine 238 has the foam tender not a Satilite. Its engine 324 that has Sat. 4. Check out www.fdnytrucks.com to see what engines the satitiles and foam units are housed with.

Edited by Truck4

Sat. 6, E-238, E-260, E-294 were all req. and responded. I typed them in as the dispatcher called them out. I don't have full rundowns of alarm assignments so I can only assume S-4 was on the job. And thank you, but I don't need to consult a website.

1207hrs- 2nd Alarm transmitted. NYPD Level 1 Mobilization. E-238/Foam 238, Sat. 6, E-260/Foam 260, E-294/Foam 294 and Purple K Unit all enroute. B/C 6 is Foam Coordinator.

What is a purple K unit??

The Purple K Unit is also known as the Alternate Fuel Response Unit. It is a pick up truck with a skid mounted module. It has a large container of Potassium Bicarbonate Powder.(Also known as Purple K) K is the symbol for Potassium on the Periodic Table of Elements(I remembered something from Carmel High Chemistry Class with Mr. Fletcher). It is used through a reel after the module that holds the powder is pressurized with compressed air.There are two in the city. One with E-228 in Brooklyn and E-229 in Greenpoint Brooklyn. I would presume 229 took the Purple K Unit. They are assigned on all Foam Operations.

Now, as for the rundown. I am going to presume that this was E-292 and Rescue 4 first due. This is about two or three blocks north of their quarters. Engine 238/Foam Tender 1(as it is designated in CADS). It is a 2,000 gallon foam carrier, where as an FC such as F-294 is only a 1,000 gallon carrier. Sat-6 is Sat-6. It hasn't been the Maxi-Water Unit since 1998, when the whole system was revamped.

And, pcfdrfd, just a little helpful hint. If you have a problem with anyone on this board, be they a mod or the newest member, do the right thing and PM them instead of saying something that is going to get deleted.

Edited by JBE

January 16, 2006

Tanker Explosion Shuts Down Queens Highway and Subway

By THE NEW YORK TIMES

A portion of the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway was closed in Queens today after a petroleum tanker truck crashed and exploded on an exit off the highway, and may remain shut down for the remainder of the day, officials said.

As of 4 p.m., service on the nearby No. 7 subway line, which was shut down between Queensboro Plaza and Main Street stations for several hours after the accident, had resumed and trains were running with only residual delays, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority said.

Traffic on the highway was shut down in both directions after a Mobil tanker carrying 8,000 gallons of fuel fell on its side and caught fire near the Roosevelt Avenue exit of the highway in the Woodside section of Queens. The fire, which burned for almost two hours, was so intense that steel girders fell on to it from an overpass.

No one was seriously injured, including the driver who scrambled out of the tanker, officials at the New York City Fire Department and the Office of Emergency Management said.

It was unclear what caused the driver to lose control of the tanker or how long it would take to open up the roadway, but officials said they hoped to have restored the transportation link by Tuesday morning.

post-839-1137451118.jpg

Credit: Robert Stolarik for The New York Times

Edited by hoss49

post-839-1137464393.jpg

post-839-1137464409.jpg

Photos: WABC-TV-New York

post-839-1137464524.jpg

post-839-1137464541.jpg

Credit: NewsdayPhotos - Julia Gaines

post-839-1137464695.jpg

post-839-1137464771.jpg

JBE, also a couple of quick points to add to you excellent description, PK is also used because it is foam compatible which is very important for extinguishing 3 dimensional fires. The PK will be used for knock down and foam for extihguishment and vapor suppression.

stay safe...

Edited by Truck4

Quick Update: As of 0615 when I left work, there was still an FDNY presence on the Expressway. Apparently nobody told these construction types it may not be the brightest idea to use cutting torches to take apart that bridge. As for PKP being Foam compaitble, to quote the late Johnny Carson, "I did not know that".

Edited by JBE