Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

EMS Operations at Meth labs

20 posts in this topic

Im trying to find how other EMS departments handle meth lab stand bys. I live in an area of the country that is not as bad YET for meth labs..but we have had three in the last two years. Our department has no protocol or guidelines on the subject.

Id love to know what other departments are doing. Thanks for any help.

SOMEDIC

Don't light a match...lol.

watch wear you step look for booby traps, and evidence.

SOP for EMS Standby at Meth Lab's:

1. Dress accordingly (grundgy, smelly, unshaven)

2. Bring some cash (never know when that craving'll hit you)

3. Bring food (munchies always prevale)

4. If you're hesitant and just want to be there to be cool, DON'T INHALE.

wouldnt this be a situation where you would use universal precautions or maybe a level b suit if you have them?

Yeah Universal Precautions.........................Its called the Fire Dept. EMS has the job of standing by and not entering an unsafe scene.

Get far enough back to where you think you're safe, then double it. If someone gets hurt let those responsible for securing the scene bring them to you. Meth labs are a hazmat incidnet. Hot, warm and cold zones should be in effect

the EPA actually has an excellent program that goes around the country teaching meth lab ops. Last spring it has hosted up at the Ridge Hill Bunker and members of the Yonkers Police & Fire as well as Empress EMS-SOD attended the 2 day training session which was both lecture & practical (hands on training).

Yeah Universal Precautions.........................Its called the Fire Dept.  EMS has the job of standing by and not entering an unsafe scene.

I agree with 3015...EMS STANDBY is exactly what it says, Stand-by. If you have any patients I strongly recommend appropriate PPE and decon. Advise the ER staff of what you are bringing in also so they can prepare to receive them. Look into a training session on Haz-Mat first responder ops for EMS also. Good to have.

Yeah Universal Precautions.........................Its called the Fire Dept.  EMS has the job of standing by and not entering an unsafe scene.

I agree with you that EMS should be standing by, but wouldnt calling in HAZMAT or the police department be more appropriate then the Fire Department?

I may be able to let you know about how other departments handle it within a few weeks..I am joining the Southwest FD in Loachapoka Alabama..

I may be able to let you know about how other departments handle it within a few weeks..I am joining the Southwest FD in Loachapoka Alabama..

A large number of meth labs are booby-trapped and due to that fact the local bomb squad will most likely be involved in the initial entry. In an ideal world, hot, warm, and cold zones would be set but let's face it... we don't live in an ideal world. Unless you have specialized training, the best thing that EMS providers on stand-by can do is just that, stand-by. Remain at a safe distance (at least 300 feet) and keep your fingers crossed while the scene is secured.

Edited by khas143

that is a dangerous situation right there you have to make sure that you dont breathe in all the chemicals used to make meth. When police agencies raid meth labs they wear protective clothing and masks so they dont breathe in the chemicals. It is a dangerous situation because meth labs tend to explode

Does any one have a department written protocol for meth labs?

Thanks for the reponses( the serious ones) so far.

This is becoming a big problem. Just in the time I posted this subject, there have been three meth lab incidents in our area.

My Department responds with the HAZMAT TEAM. and a Battalion Chief and if need be a Asst./Deputy Chief. The medic unit that runs out of the HAZMAT station responds with the team. My Dept covers 1200 Sq miles. The medic and EMT on the medic unit are Techs and most of the medics have special training for medical HAZMAT responses. our 911 center will send out a alpha numeric page to all off duty HAZMT memeber to respond. I will get more info to post on a SOP from the HAZMAT TEAM leader.

STAY BACK THAT WOULD BE THE BEST LET THE PATIENTS BE BROUGHT TO YOU

Does any one have a department written protocol for meth labs?

Thanks for the reponses( the serious ones) so far.

This is becoming a big problem. Just in the time I posted this subject, there have been three meth lab incidents in our area.

Down south and out west where meth labs are more prevalent and a way of life, agancies actually have SOP's for just that.

HCFRFF: Thanks for the link. Glad to hear from you neighbor!

As other people have mentioned outside and far away is great. The one issue that hasn't been discussed is making sure that those patients have been through decon before they get to you. The types of chemicals found in a meth lab have the possibility to get into the clothes and skin of the individual and then off gas inside your ambulance later. keep that in mind.