Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firemoose827

Thermal Imaging Cameras

4 posts in this topic

Hey. I have never had the chance to use TIC's at fires and I am now trying to sell one to a local Fire Department. My company sells ISI cameras. I want to properly inform the members on the use and quality of the camera. Does anyone use these types of cameras? How are they? Are they suitable for a small country FD that has an average of 200-300 runs a year? Any info would be great. Thanks everyone and stay safe.

Although I'm not familiar with the ISI line of TIC, in CFFD we use the Bullard. We are quite happ with it. We have used it for several fire calls/investigations. It can also be used for searching for missing/lost people in wooded areas. (We have also done that). So IMHO, I would recommend it for departments you described in your post.

Just my .02 on the topic. We were able to obtain two T.I.'s via federal grants and although its used in a LE application it is also used in rescue situations like Doc22 stated. Just recently we had a gent take an M.I. walking his dog by Liberty State Park which is heavily wooded and the bird was down due to weather. It just wasn't his time apparently because we located him almost immediately. Until you become proficient with it there are some draw backs as far as lighting concerns when using it. Especially street lgihts, strobes and LED's. And there are so many different attachments that make it user friendly while manuevering through rough terrain.

Rick

In Stamford we have one on each truck co., two on the rescue co., and several of the engine co.'s have one as well. We use ISG's and have been pretty happy with them. The biggest thing to remember when using them is to not forget the basics of search. Always remain in contact with a wall, rope, hoseline, other person, etc. Don't get tunnelvision when using the camera. You may think you see something and go straight for it and become disoriented yourself. Don't become a victim! Stick with the basics and use the camera as a tool. Also they are great for investiagtions such as overheated ballasts, searching for extension, overheated motors, etc. They can also be used during haz-mat situations to view chemicals during a exothermic or endothermic reation. We use ours almost everyday somewhere in the city and they are great. Just remember your training.